02 | virgo

TWO MONTHS PASS, AND ELOISE DOESN'T CALL HIM. Of course, when she opens her calculus notebook, she flips through his messy scrawl at the bottom of the last couple of pages and her breathing hitches just a little. It's a perfect opportunity for her to get out of her comfort box and actually make contact with people her own age, but a lot has happened over the past eight weeks that it just gradually slipped her mind.

For one, her dad called her a total of sixteen times. Twice a week. And it's driving her up the fucking wall.

When she sees his name as the caller ID, Eloise feels the crack in her chest widen exponentially. At this point, her body's basically split in half.

Every time, Eloise loves too hard and takes the brunt of the fall. Is it cruel of her to just ignore everything for just a little while?

Maybe she should. Call her father, that is.

To hear what? The cackling silence of heartache?

She's not sure if it's worth it anymore.

***

"Hi, what can I get for you today?"

Eloise Park doesn't even raise her head as the customer orders a vanilla cappuccino with a double shot of espresso. Just types it into her screen and holds a hand out for payment, which she swipes in one smooth motion.

Two more hours—two more hours, and then I can go home.

This week has been tough on her: she's been pulling more shifts at Blue Bottle Coffee to cover shifts for the rest of her co-coworkers, who've been out sick with some nasty virus. On top of that, at least exam week is over. No more pulling all-nighters to spend time reviewing her notes, and certainly no more calculus. At least for the time being.

Earlier in the day, Parker had texted her friend to let her know that she'd be at the soccer game, which should be nearly half-way over by now. When Eloise saw her phone light up with the notification, a sense of relief covered her. Parker deserves to smile.

It's a warm evening, and she's glad that Salem is out underneath stadium lights surrounded by mutual friends. If closely observed, the night stars are coated in a soft glow behind wispy strings of clouds. Through the glass windows in the café, something inside of her is desperate to escape.

Customers inside Blue Bottle are starting to decrease in population. It's a Friday night in Los Angeles, so of course people won't be cooped up inside with their work laptops for too long. Briefly, she wonders about a different life, a different world. Where she would be out at a party instead of making overpriced drinks for customers.

The overhead bell on the door rings loudly and Eloise closes her eyes and brings two fingers to each temple, rubbing an incoming headache away. She can't wait to go home and curl up with a movie on their couch. Layered with background music, male laughter and conversation resonate throughout the coffee shop.

She doesn't even look up. "Hi, what can I get for you today?"

There's a sharp intake of breath, but Eloise's eyes are still partially closed. Even she can tell that she's irritated.

"Getting a call back would be nice," an unnervingly familiar voice says. Her head snaps up so quick that she's positive whiplash ensues, and Jonah Kim is standing on the opposite side of the counter. He winks. "I've been waiting a long time. Or is this all part of your teasing game?"

"Don't say it," she warns lowly. 

"—because I'll admit, it's working," he finishes.

Eloise opens her mouth. Jonah's hair is messy and sweaty—his game must have finished. The light hits his cheekbones in a ridiculously flattering way, highlighting an angular face and warm brown eyes. He's dressed in a loose grey sweatshirt with athletic shorts, a soccer bag casually slung over one shoulder. The picture of unrefined beauty.