The Truth

May 13, 1924

(Y/N) spent the next few days trying to get to know the twins. During those days, she found out that Adrian had the makings of a gentleman. Audrey, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. Where Adrian could keep secrets about their mother, Ruth, Audrey told (Y/N) everything; from how she brought men home every night to how Ruth often forgot to take care of them. After (Y/N) heard that she took the twins to an ice cream parlor and told them they can have whatever they wanted. When they went to leave the owner behind the counter asked (Y/N) if those were her children but she shook her head and explained that they were her niece and nephew. The owner smiled and wiped off the counter where the previous customers had sat. (Y/N) happily payed for all the food they ate.

The next few weeks after that (Y/N) noticed that Audrey's attitude had worsened. According to Audrey, a boy had been picking on her. When (Y/N) had asked for the boy's name the young girl's cheeks flared up and she began to stutter. (Y/N) assured her niece that it was nothing more than a crush and that she has nothing to be afraid of.

June 15th, 1924
8:30 am

(Y/N) sent the twins to school, after learning that Ruth had neglected to give them an education. She was also having to deal with a puppy who was constantly under her feet, and when a customer would walk through the door the puppy would run over to them and jump all over them. (Y/N) had to keep apologizing before putting the blue heeler puppy in the twins' room. She let the puppy back out after the customer had left and cuddled up with it.

4:20 pm

(Y/N) picked the twins up and walked them home. They would tell her how their day went well and how much fun they had. Once at the shop (Y/n) would find out more about the twins. "Did you two know your birth father?" She asked them while preparing dinner. Adrian spoke up instead of his sister, "No, but mother told us they he wasn't a nice man and that he forced her to do things." The moment (Y/n) heard that she dropped plates and they shattered, Audrey let out a little shriek and Adrian was shocked. (Y/n) placed one hand on the counter, holding on for dear life, and the other one placed over her mouth. Her skin grew ghostly pale and felt the need to vomit. "I think I'm gonna be sick." Audrey took this as a way to get answers and continuously asked questions. Adrian stopped finishing his homework to help his aunt.

(Y/n) finally put two and two together. How was she gonna tell her niece and nephew that she killed their father 7 years ago when she thought she saved her sister from being raped. "You knew our father? What was he like?" (Y/n) was a few seconds away from yelling at Audrey to shut up, but she didn't want to seem like her sister. (Y/n) slowly but surely regained her composure before asking the twins to sit at the table and carefully explained what happened that night 7 years ago. Her sister was raped in an alley way and (Y/n) accidentally killed the man. "I didn't mean to kill him, but the only thing that ran through my head 'Save Ruth', 'Save her', 'Stop him'. I didn't realize I murdered a man until the next morning." Audrey looked down at her puppy resting under the table with tears running down her cheek. Adrian, on the other hand, placed his hand on top of (Y/n)'s hand and comforted her.

(I'mma leave this here for now I will add more to it later)