Warnings: gore, detailed descriptions of death, blood, vomit mentions, unsympathetic Deceit. This was originally a oneshot in my book "Sanders Sides Oneshots 2" but I was very proud of it so it's been added here as it's own book too! Hope you enjoy it if you're new, and if you've read it before I hope maybe you'll read and comment again? Thanks for checking out the book!

Virgil's anxiety got worse and worse as he counted down the days. He knew they could tell, that they could see him getting worse. He didn't want to worry them, but he was a terrible liar. They knew something was up, even though he wouldn't tell them anything.

He cared about his friends too much. He would do anything to keep them from knowing the truth-the truth was terrible. There were things in the world that they didn't know about, awful things. Virgil would protect them from that until the day he died. Which, as his anxiety refused to let him forget, was coming quicker than he would like.

What he did was stupid. He knew that, and yet given the same choice again with what he knew now he would do it again in a heartbeat. Anything to protect his friends from danger.

Virgil sighed, getting out of his bed and getting dressed for the day. If he didn't have much time left he should at least spend it well. He would make the next two days the best he could for himself and his friends-at least then they could remember him well.

"Morning Virgil!" Patton greeted immediately as he walked into the kitchen, finding Logan and Roman already awake as well and sitting at the table while Patton made breakfast. He looked at each of them for a moment, a lump forming in his throat as he did. He chose to nod in response to the greeting, not trusting his voice in that moment.

"How are you feeling?" Logan asked, glancing at him from across the table as he sat down. His eyes seemed to scan over Virgil, taking in everything like a robot. Virgil smiled fondly at the thought that fit Logan so well, hiding it behind his hand as he leaned against the table.

"I'm okay," He said simply, knowing he was anything but. Logan had caught his smile though, and assumed he was telling the truth. Virgil tried to stifle a sigh of relief.

"That is good then," He nodded, his and Roman's attention drawn away by Patton a moment later. He called for the three of them to make themselves a plate, the two of them getting up quickly with Virgil following slowly behind.

"Virgil," Patton spoke softly, a comforting hand on his shoulder stopping him. "Are you sure you're alright? You were acting strange yesterday. You have been for the past week. If there's anything we can do to help, you can tell us y'know? We're here for you."

"I know," Virgil sighed out, chewing on his bottom lip. "I'm okay now, really. If I need to talk to you, I will."

"Promise?" Patton frowned, looking down at him. Virgil looked back up at him with a small smile, nodding.

"Promise." He assured, and Patton smiled back at him, seeming satisfied. He pulled him into a brief hug before letting go and encouraging him to get some food, going to get some for himself as well. Virgil's smile dropped almost immediately afterwards, doing his best to stay neutral as he followed behind his friend. He hoped he could keep this up for the next two days without them worrying too much. He wanted the last few days with them to be good.

****

It was dark outside. So dark that on any normal day Virgil would never even consider leaving the house alone. There was no way of knowing who or what could be waiting in that darkness. However, today was no normal day. Today was... a nightmare. Except he wasn't dreaming. He wasn't going to wake up, and there was nothing to get the images flashing through his mind to stop.