1

"You know I can hear you talking but you know it's pointless until I have had a coffee and a smoke" I muttered walking past Erin flicking the kettle on before trudging out onto the balcony

How had my life got so bad that I was sleeping on my best friends couch. This was no life for me. Heck it wasn't a life for my 5 year old girl. Sighing to myself I watched the sun starting to break through the clouds, letting the smoke fill my lungs as tears filled my eyes.

"Summer is still sleeping" Erin whispered placing a mug of coffee on the ledge.

"What am I going to do" I sighed watching the smoke dance around in the slight breeze "I can't take her with me today. That won't be a good look turning up to an interview with a kid in tow especially one that's full of cold"

"Want me to take her today?" Erin smiled softly.

"I couldn't ask you to do that" I whispered running my hand through my hair. "You are doing so much for me at the minute"

"You aren't asking though, I'm offering. You know Hank loves this little one" she laughed. "And I'm not going to let my best friend struggle and be homeless am I? I'm mean but I'm not a bitch"

"Thank you" I whispered "you are the best"

"Come on talk to me" she smiled placing her hand on my shoulder breaking the silence.

"I don't know how my life turned to shit in a matter of a year. I lost my husband, my job, my home. And now struggling to find a job that will take on someone so broken" I breathed trying not to cry. "All I've known is being in the police"

"You will find something I promise. Do you want me to speak to Trudy to see if there is anything opening up?" Erin asked.

"I don't know Erin. I don't know if I can go back into the life which took Harry away from us" I sighed.

"Mummy where are you?" A little voice shouted.

"Out here baby" I shouted back stubbing my smoke out.

"How you feeling little one" Erin asked as I picked her up.

"Icky" she sighed cuddling into my body. "I hate being poorlwey"

"I know baby girl but I know something that might make you feel better. Do you want to go to work with auntie Erin today?" I smiled moving her hair out of her eyes.

"Rweally" summer sniffed.

"Yeah kiddo we can go annoy uncle Hank" Erin laughed. "Now how about we go get you ready"

And just like that my daughter was no longer interested in me but her favourite auntie.

"Can I wear my CPD top and purple tutu?" My daughter grinned.

"You can wear whatever you want princess" Erin laughed as she took summer back into the apartment leaving me alone again.

———

"Now you be good for auntie Erin and listen to what she says ok" I said forcing a smile.

"Ok mummy. Wuv you" summer flashed her toothy smile.

"I wuv you too little monkey" I said kissing the top of her head.

"You sure Hank is going to be ok with this?" I asked as Erin grabbed summers batman backpack.

"Come on you know he will. He loves this little one" she grinned giving me a hug the best she would with summer clinging to her.

"I will come by and pick her up after the interviews" I smiled as they left.

Erin's view

"Guys we have an extra set on hands today" I laughed "all be it a sleepy pair of little hands"

"My little sunshine" Hank beamed as he saw summer clinging to me.

"Uncy Hank" summer sniffled reaching over for a cuddle.

"Hope you don't mine boss, she's not well and H couldn't take her with her today" I sighed placing the bags on my desk. "I think she's gonna be quite clingy today"

"You know I don't mind" he said as he walked around the office with summer resting on his hip. "Well all know uncy Hank makes things better. Question is how is heather holding up?"

"Not good at all, I don't think it helps that the anniversary is in the next couple of weeks. She's constantly moving around trying to find a job" I sighed thinking about my friend "it's only a matter of time before she breaks I think."

"Well there's always a job here if she wants it. Maybe not intelligence as I don't think she could handle it at the moment but she's a good cop" Hank smiled before walking off into his office.

The day flew by and next thing I knew Heather was here.

"Mummy" summer giggled as she ran to Heather.

"Did you have a good day baby" she whispered breathing in her daughters scent. Something I noticed she did to keep herself calm.

"Yeah uncy Hank got me mcd's" summer whispered making Heather laugh a bit.

"Glad one of us had a good day. Now go say bye to everyone and we will head home" Heather said flashing a smile that looked genuine but I knew it was a front.

"Hey how did the interviews go?" I asked

"Shit, they all basically said I would fit their image aka they don't want a broken piece of shit" she mumbled. "I give up now I really do"

"Tell you what, you and me are going to hit molly's tonight and I'm not taking no for an answer" I smiled "before you say what about summer, Hank has agreed to look after her. Now go home take a shower and make yourself look pretty"

"Fine but I'm not staying out long" she huffed before she went to find summer.

I honestly I hated that there wasn't much I could do to get her out of this broken state. But I needed to do something before she completely shattered to the point of no return.