4: The Big Night

"Finally the big night is almost here. Oh, how I love attending our End Of The Year's party."

"Hmm, does that have anything to do with the fact that you keep on bagging awards every year?" Halle giggled.

"No, not really. I mean I'm grateful that all the hard work I put in as the Chief Administrative Officer of a billion-dollar company doesn't go unnoticed but still, that's not it."

"So what is it then? Oh, I think I know now, haha!"

"What is it that you know this time Halle?" Caren laughed knowing her friend would never give up guessing until she finds the answer.

"You're excited because you and Mr CEO will finally have all the time in the world to smooch and drool all over each other."

"Ew, Halle! Don't be gross." They both laughed.

"Uh oh, look at the time, almost 6:30! Got to get myself home and get ready. Can't wait to put on the sexy evening gown I ordered last week." She giggled as she got up from the couch and started catwalking towards the door.

"Get it girl!" Caren giggled. "I'll pass by your apartment as soon as I'm done."

"Great! What about Jill? Is she still coming?"

"Yes, she'll meet us there."

"Alright. See you soon." Halle waved and left.

Caren locked the door and went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and take a shower.

"Now where did I keep those hair extensions?" She asked herself as soon as she was done drying her body with her towel. "There they are!"

She ran her fingers through the bundle of brunette extensions and started clipping them on her hair. "This turned out way prettier than I expected. Good to know the money I put into these extensions don't go in vain." She chuckled.

She was about to start doing her makeup when she heard her phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hey Caren, how are you doing this beautiful evening?"

"Calvin hi, I'm doing great! How are you?"

"I'm better now that I hear your voice. It's almost time for the party..."

"Yes, I'm about to do my makeup and get dressed."

"That's good! Hey uhm... Can I reserve a seat for you at my table?"

"Sure but only if you make that 3 seats."

"Of course! How could I forget the best friend Halle but who's the other person?"

"My other best friend Jill."

"Alright, 3 seats it is then."

"Thank you so much. Drive safely."

"I will. See you soon!"

**********

As soon as she got done with her makeup, she went to the closet and brought out the beautiful navy blue gown she bought earlier that year.

"Now this is what I call a magical dress." She smiled as she admired herself in the mirror. She wore her heels and took her purse in her hand before leaving her apartment for Halle's.

"Girl look at you! You look like a goddess!" Caren said upon seeing my friend in her dazzling black dress.

"Aw, thanks Darling. You look out of this world in that blue gown." Halle smiled.

"Thank you! Come on let's get going."

"Wait! We better take a picture real quick, haha!" Halle winked.

"Oh definitely." Caren giggled.

********

They all arrived at the event and had taken their seats next to Calvin.

"Excited for tonight?" Calvin asked with a huge smile on his face.

"Of course. I'm grateful to see the end of another beautiful year and what better way to spend tonight than with my most beloved friends and coworkers."

"Same here." He winked.

After everyone arrived, there was a meet and greet of all the guests present at the event. The party then commenced with the Master of Ceremonies (MC), leading everyone in a short prayer after which a few top members of the company and special guests of honour were introduced.

The MC kicked off the segment by calling and handing out awards to different members of the company. It got to presenting the Award for Outstanding and Exemplary Leadership, and the MC called on the CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, MR CALVIN FORD to receive it. His heart-warming acceptance speech was met with a prolonged standing ovation and huge applause.

"The next Award, ladies and gentlemen, is for Exemplary Character and the Unwavering Dedication to Service and this goes to... Our very own SECRETARY, MISS HALLE PATTERSON." The MC announced.

"Yay, Congratulations Halle!" Caren and Jill hugged her and watched her go up the stage to give her speech and claim her well deserved award.

"... And now, for the final presentation of the year, the Award for Great Mentorship and Extraordinary Diligence goes to... Our one and only CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER, MISS CAREN COHEN.

"Congratulations darling." Halle and Jill yelled in excitement.

"So proud of you." Calvin added as he gave her peck on her cheek.

*********

After dinner, the MC announced that it was time to hit the dance floor. The 4 of them were still sitting at the table when a young man approached them and asked Jill if she'd like to dance with him. She accepted and exchanged funny faces with her friends before leaving with him.

"Halle, do you know Calvin is a really good dancer just like you?"

"For real?" She asked while Calvin gave a shy smile.

"Yep! Calvin, why don't you take Halle to the dance floor and show her what you got?"

"I will, only if you accept to dance with me afterwards."

"Sure thing! As long as you don't mind me stepping on your shoes based on the horrible dancer that I am." Caren laughed.

"I'll take my chances." He replied as he took Halle's right hand in his, while motioning his left hand forward as if to say, ladies first.

Caren watched them for a while after which she stood up to greet some of her colleagues. She eventually wandered to the terrace alone, where she relaxed her arms on the railings and gazed into the magnificent night sky.

"Now what's a gorgeous lady doing all by herself on a cold night like this?"

Caren was startled by the sound of the deep, euphonious voice that came from behind. She turned around to see what could possibly be the most handsome man she'd ever seen in her life.

************