TWENTY ONE | friday night

"So we're still on Friday, right?" I walk into the squad room, my cellphone pressed against my ear.

"Of course. I'll pick you up at 7:00?"

I drop my bag at my desk. "Sounds great. I'll see you then."

"Was that him?" Kate speaks up, a knowing smile gracing her features. "You know. . .him?"

"Him? Who him?" Tony butts in like an uninvited guest.

"None of your business, DiNosey." I shoot him down quickly. "And, yes. It's him him."

"Are you wearing the red?"

"I was thinking the black."

"But the red. You look great in the red."

From the corner of my eye, I see Tony nod his head eagerly. "Yeah, you look great in the red."

"Quit it!" Kate and I shout at him at the same time.

Just as we are about to go back to our private conversation, Gibbs storms in muttering, "Grab your gear. Got a dead sailor."

"We didn't get any calls." Kate argues but still grabs her bag.

"Saw it on the news, huh, boss?"

"Hey, DiNozzo. For once, you're right."

And with that, we are out the door. We arrive in a small neighborhood where another team has already claimed the crime scene.

Lieutenant Cheney, the man in charge, briefs Gibbs on what is known so far. They drink their coffees simultaneously before Cheney calls on one of his agents, Miller.

"Right away, boss." He grabs Cheney's empty cup as well as Gibbs' before leaving to retrieve refills.

The house is completely ransacked. Furniture knocked over, bloody handprints and smudges along the wall.

But no signs of a body.

"Lieutenant," A young blonde steps out of one of the rooms, "your ex-wife just called."

He moves off to the side with her. "Which one?"

"The nasty one." She mutters.

Lieutenant Cheney just sighs. "You're going to have to be more specific than that." Oh, God.

"This is weird."

"Too weird."

"Definitely."

"Good weird."

"Lieutenant." Agent Miller comes back with two fresh cups of coffee in his hands. Just as before, the two slurp their coffee in sync.

The lieutenant accepts the fact that this is NCIS jurisdiction, so he, Miller, and Rachael leave us with the crime scene.

"DiNozzo." Gibbs calls out to the senior agent, who had been fawning over the blonde agent. "Bag and tag, trace evidence. Eva, sketch. Kate, shoot. McGee, laptop and answering machine."

"I. . .am gonna go get my sketchpad from the truck." I excuse myself outside, where I bump into some guy.

The guy turns around. "Watch where you're. . ." His eyes graze over my figure. "Wow. You know, your eyes are the same color as my Porsche."

"How many times you use that line?"

"Come on, we better get going before the boss throws a fit." This time, a brunette woman smacks him upside the head. "And don't even think about coming over tonight."