TWENTY NINE | car explosion

I sigh in content, giggling every so often. "Oh, first day back is the absolute best."

"Well, even though it technically isn't, I have to agree with you on that." Tony chuckles to himself while peppering my jaw and cheeks with feathery kisses.

"I could get used to this." I bring his lips in for a proper kiss. "So, are we telling the others about us? Or should we be discrete?"

"Let them figure it out. We can have some fun for once."

As soon as the elevator doors open, Tony and I pull away from each other and walk out simultaneously.

"Last time I checked, you each have another week of sick leave coming. Should have stayed home."

"And good morning to you, too, boss."

Kate greets me with a hug. "Being the only girl here has been awful."

"At least you didn't have to take care of DiNozzo. And have him take care of you." I can't help the smile that makes its way onto my face.

Next is the probationary agent.

"McGoo Bear!" I launch myself onto the agent.

He hugs me back. "Oh, Eva, it's great to have you back."

"How has it felt not to have the senior agent breathing down your neck every second of the day?"

"Like a well-deserved vacation."

Soon, we are on the road to a crime scene. Two sailors shot and killed at gunpoint while in their car on Route 17.

Kate and I shoot and sketch the crime scene in the car while Tony and McGee talk to the officers at the crime scene.

"Boss! State cops ran the Mustang's plates." Tony comes jogging down the hill. "It's a rental car out of Dulles Airport. I got a call into this —"

And now he's rolling down the hill, stopping right at my feet.

"Ow."

"Are you okay?" Gibbs hands me a bloody rag to bag and tag.

Tony blinks, staring down at the grass. "Just trying to catch my breath."

"You should have taken the extra week off, DiNozzo." Gibbs charges up the hill to check on Ducky, leaving the three of us with the car.

"Alright. Come here." I hold out my hands for him, but he ends up pulling me back down to the ground. "Well, thanks for the ride, but I was trying to help you."

"You looked a little lonely up there." He clasps his hands over my elbows and kisses me.

Snap!

"Way to ruin the moment, Kate." Tony glances up at her.

She shrugs her shoulders. "After two years of chasing each other, you finally got together. It's a milestone."

I stand up to my feet and help him up off the ground. When I dust my pants off, I notice a stick-like object moving around Kate's shoe.

"S-S-S —"

"She's crazy? Yeah, I know."

Kate smacks him upside his head in response.

"N-No." I move to stand behind Tony. "There's a snake. A very, very, very big snake curling around Kate's foot."

She gasps when she sees the reptile. "Tell me it isn't poisonous."

"I think it is."

The young agent shakes as it slithers further around her leg. "Ew, what is it doing?"