Blurred Lines: An English Christmas

Late because life is messy sometimes, but I hope you enjoy regardless. x

Right around the time he'd been in the city for SNL, the first of the deep freeze spells had claimed the city. It was the type of cold that froze your knuckles stiff if you didn't pull your gloves on before going outside, and sometimes even if you did. Sixth Avenue and Rockefeller Plaza were transformed from when he'd been there just over a month ago — the tree was lit in all its glory, though you did your best to steer clear. Pickpocketing did not a holly, jolly Christmas make.

Standing on 34th street, you took a deep breath, eyes stinging as you took in the Macy's display. Just the wind, you told yourself. And yet, the ache that accompanied it stayed even when you were tucked inside your place, the little faux Christmas tree in the corner twinkling away, merry and bright.

Just about a month ago, you'd been in bed together, A Christmas Carol on in the background while you'd straddled him and he'd chased the kisses he was so in demand of.

"You're crazy," you'd sighed when he'd made his suggestion into your neck.

"An English Christmas," he'd said. "Met Jeffrey and that wasn't so bad, was it?"

"Manager and mum are different animals." You'd massaged his scalp, gently finger combing his curls. "But I did like how surprised he was."

Harry had chuckled and pulled back to beam up at you. "Yeah, me too. So, what say we do that again?"

Sighing but smiling, you'd cupped his cheeks. "Flights are through the roof by now," you'd said stroking the smooth patches above his stubble. "And Christmas in New York—"

"I know, I've seen it," he'd said. "But Christmas in England...." He'd puckered his lips and you'd granted him a kiss. "Ice skating at Winter Wonderland...."

"Ice skating at Bryant Park," you'd countered and he'd chuckled.

"Mulled wine by the fire."

"Cocoa over a subway grate."

"Me."

He'd smiled softly when your breath hitched and you'd blinked. "Me," you'd whispered and he'd tightened his hold around your waist.

"Fair point, that is."

He'd left before you'd come to a resolution — a flurry of coats and scarves, your pajama pants slung low on your hips and toes freezing in your slippers as you kissed him goodbye outside your building and next to his car.

"Miss you." Kiss. "Love you." Kiss kiss.

"I love you, too." You'd squeezed him closer, seized with the idea to grab on tight enough he wouldn't be able to go. He'd pulled back, though, and cupped your cheeks with another kiss.

"Merry Christmas." He'd grinned lightheartedly, but he'd knocked the wind out of you. You hadn't said a word back when he got in the car and you watched him drive off, shivering on the sidewalk.

The closer you got to Christmas, the worse it was, and worse still because you felt silly to feel so... sad. You'd been apart last year! But last year... things had been different. Your world was smaller, and now everything was bigger. You together were bigger. He'd asked you to spend Christmas with his family.

Too late and too close, though. You'd looked — you had to at least take a look, didn't you? — and everything that turned up that didn't have a twelve hour layover somewhere was thousands. He'd pay for it if you mentioned, but that wasn't right, or fair, and it shouldn't be expected of him just because he could.