Until They Met Again

I rarely frequent Wattpad (my primary dwelling is Tumblr), but for those who stop by -- whether you comment or don't, favorite the story or don't, like it, love it, or hate all of it -- thank you for reading x

So, the truth was: you'd had sex with Harry Styles and forgotten all about him.

No — seriously. You'd had sex with Harry Styles and forgotten all about him.

Honestly, it was all more like a fever dream than anything. It'd happened to you — with you — and even you didn't buy it. Because why would Harry Styles go to a hole in the wall burger place in the middle of New York City? Didn't he have people to see at much nicer places with way better food? Especially after one of his own concerts, with people wanting to celebrate him?

And the sex.... It wasn't even the night of that made your toes curl the most. The morning after, in the forty or so minutes it took room service to get to your hotel room? He'd fucked like his life depended on it. You'd been on your belly, and he'd been in it, skin slapping and both of you wheezing and sputtering your ways to the end because in the morning hours, they might care. In the morning, there might be someone who could recognize his voice or who would wonder if you cried out his name — you weren't the only one who'd grabbed a hotel for the show, after all. Remembering the low, rumbling groan that'd echoed in his throat as he pulsed inside you and pushed his hips just so against you made you clench if you thought about thinking about it.

He'd left, you'd left, and you hadn't told a single soul — not your friends, not your Instagram, and definitely not your mother. Not because he'd asked you not to, or because you couldn't, but because it was the right thing to do. Only the worst of people had busy fingers and thumbs to take fishing selfies and post stories that created more talk than their mouths ever could. And honestly? It was easier to pretend it hadn't happened, because that was absurd. The whole of it from top to bottom was the most hysterical insanity, and if you'd read it in a blind item column, you'd laugh your way around the world and fall off if it was flat.

(But it wasn't flat, and as it was, you'd go round and round in circles, and where you'd stop, nobody would know.)

So, you had to forget all about him. And it'd worked, too. The end of June bled almost indiscernibly with the beginning of July, the blazing sun of which made all but the most touristy of tourists want to crawl underground. August brought enough relief to make you throw your windows open and lie naked on your bed, hoping a breeze would blow through, but it wasn't until September you knew peace.

And then you'd picked up the phone.

It was an unknown number, and you were a 21st century person who routinely ignored any call from any number they didn't know (and, sometimes, the ones they did). Maybe you knew — maybe that was why, despite your hiss of annoyance, you slid your thumb on the screen. "Hello?" Clipped in anticipation of either a robotic voice or a sales pitch, you barely held the phone to your ear, poised and at the ready to hang up as quickly as you'd picked up. You leaned across your sofa to grab the remote you'd thrown onto the cushions at the opposite end at the start of the film you'd put on.

"Hey, it's uh—" The owner of the voice on the other end cleared its throat, but you were already frozen, tense and in shock, prickles erupting on your scalp and up your arms. You didn't need him to say who he was. Even as quietly as he was speaking, the cadence and lilt were familiar to you anywhere. As was the smile you could hear in his voice. "It's Harry."

You jammed your thumb on the pause button several times until it finally took.

"Hi." Flat, dull, and totally uninterested, which was not true or accurate. "Hi," you repeated breathlessly, hoping he could hear the difference. "Hi, I didn't— sorry. I thought it might be a spam...." You took a deep breath. He didn't care. Hell, you didn't care. "How are you?"