Too Much

Jazmin

The colour was draining quickly from Adalyne's face and I was beginning to worry that she might pass out. I motioned for Lucas to take Charis, then put my other hand on Adalyne's shoulder.

"Are you alright? You don't look so well." I asked carefully.

Adalyne drug her eyes to me and seemed to be in shock as she slowly nodded. I should have told her, but how do I say, "I panicked at 36, thinking I would never be a mom and made a decision that would forever change my life? Maybe both our lives if you ever came back into it? That my daughter carries your namesake?" It may have been the make or break for us, but more importantly, I had to be certain that Adalyne was going to stick around before allowing her into my daughter's life.

"Are you going to introduce us?" I heard Lilith ask from behind me.

I closed my eyes and let out a breath, then turned around, but kept a grip on Adalyne just in case. "I'm sorry. Lilith, this is Adalyne, Adalyne, Lilith."

Lilith moved beside me and held out her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. How do you two know each other?"

Adalyne lightly shook Lilith's hand, then looked at me in a nervous panic. "Uh.."

"That's mommy's good friend, Mama Lily!" Charis yelled out.

A pained expression befell Adalyne's features and she pulled her hand back, then said, "I should go."

Lilith had an irritated tone as she spoke, "Lucas, please take your sister to the carousel and we'll be there in a minute," then she focused on my hand gripped tightly to Adalyne's wrist and said, "Now, really, how do you two know each other? Because you seem awful comfortable together."

I focused on Adalyne for a moment who looked like a deer caught in the headlights, then took a deep breath to summon up the courage before answering, "Adalyne is my ex-wife."

"I thought your ex-wife was Gina. You lied to me?"

"I remarried, and no, I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you about her."

"Why is this one so important that you'd keep her a secret? Or are you ashamed? By the looks of her, you probably should be. What is she, 25? 26?"

"She's 30." I answered.

"I'm right here." Adalyne blurted out, but was still pale and now sweating.

"I'm sorry," I said, ignoring the annoyed look on Lilith's face and instead, focused back on Adalyne, "You're really looking ill. Come on, let's sit down."

Adalyne didn't say anything, just let me lead her to a bench, then sat down. I uncapped my water and handed it to her, then waited for her to take a drink and hand the bottle back to me.

"This is too much." Adalyne finally said.

"I'll say." Lilith countered. Of course, she followed us.

"Not now, Lilith," I said, then lifted Adalyne's chin to look her over. She seemed better, but still pale.

"I think now is as good a time as any." Lilith snipped.

"No. Get the kids. I'm taking Adalyne to the hospital. Something's wrong."

Lilith sighed in annoyance, but stomped away, then Adalyne spoke, "I'm fine. Probably just the heat."

"You're not fine, baby," I said, then placed my hand on her forehead, "You're burning up."

"Please don't call me that. You can't, with your girlfriend and apparently, the mother of your kid just a few feet away."