1 - Who'd Want To Marry You?

CHAPTER ONE

As soon the rooster's had sounded their morning cry, Meilin was up, her giddy smile full of excitement. This happened every morning because everyday for the past 12 years, Meilin had always started her day with dumplings. Not just any dumplings either - the flavourful and chewy goodness were the best in the capital city. Nothing could compare!

"Ah, Daiyu, isn't today such a beautiful day?" Meilin commented at her maidservant just as she sat in front of her vanity, waiting to be dressed for the day.

Daiyu took one look outside before grimacing. "Miss, it is raining with heavy winds!"

It was actually raining heavily and the winds were so strong that the tree branches were swaying side to side, almost as if they were dancing. It was quite an unusual sight considering it was the middle of a very hot summer this year. One could only hope the bad weather didn't signify bad news to come.

Meilin ignored the weather outside. "Daiyu, I hope you're not suggesting not to go out just because of some water falling from the sky," she said very seriously. Well, when it came to her morning dumplings, she did become very serious.

"Miss, we can simply ask the cooks to make you some dumplings this morning," Daiyu said, but one could notice that the tone of her voice had gone down an octave as she trudged through heavy waters that was her miss.

"Absolutely not! If the cooks made it half as good as Uncle Zhou then I wouldn't have bothered walking all the way there every morning! And besides, I'm not as frail to fly away with the wind."

Daiyu said nothing in response in case she hurt her Miss' feelings. She had been a little...guarded lately.

It was no secret that Meilin had turned 17 years of age this year, which meant that she was at the perfect age to be wedded. The only problem was, no one wanted her in particular. Whether it was her abnormally small frame, her mouth knowing no limits or the fact that she was chubbier than the normal girl, she was constantly reminded that no one wanted her.

Who would want to marry you? It was funny to Meilin that the people she thought were the closest to her were the ones throwing that same question around. She then looked down at her chubby stomach and let out a sigh. It wasn't that big.

"Miss," Daiyu spoke up, "I'll quickly find the strongest umbrella in the house and then we can get your dumplings!"

Meilin snapped out of her thoughts and smiled brightly at the thought. "Go, go!" she shoo'ed her away.

Minutes later they both stood at the entrance of the house, looking out on the streets as the wind harassed the few people who were out. A grimace adorned Meilin's face and she wondered if she was being too stubborn. Then her grumbling stomach sounded.

They both gave each other a brief nod and set off running down the street. What did Meilin care if this was not proper behaviour? No one important was actually out to witness it anyway.

And then what seemed like a century later, the familiar sight of Uncle Zhou's dumpling stand came into view. Today it was protected under a little shelter and it seemed to work considering it hadn't been blown away yet.

Breathless, tired and wet, the girls stopped underneath the shelter while they regained their breath - it was especially difficult for Meilin who couldn't remember the last time she had ever ran.

"Uncle Zhou," Meilin finally said as she stood upright, her smile didn't falter as she caught the steaming dumplings right in front of her. "4 dumplings today, please. I deserve an extra for being a loyal customer and coming here in this weather," she said with a little pout that made Uncle Zhou laugh heartedly.

"My child, you'll get 2 extra's for being a loyal customer. No one else has dared to come out today," he informed them as he wrapped up the goods.

Hearing this Meilin couldn't help but feel bad. In her little pouch she took out a few extra coins and placed it on the stand.

"Have a good day, Uncle Zhou, and I hope the weather clears up!" Meilin said cheerfully as she and Daiyu braced themselves to run back to their manor. Uncle Zhou waved them goodbye as he watched their figures disappear around the corner. He only wished that the little miss would always be happy.

Dumpling safely away, they both arrived back at the manor and rushed inside. It was safe to say that they hated absolutely every second of being in the rain.

"Daiyu, next time you should try harder to convince me to eat at home because that was not a pleasant experience," Meilin said as she took off her padded jacket. The relief that swept through her was blissful.

Daiyu stared at her miss. "I dare not say anything that will get my head chopped off," she replied jokingly which made Meilin laugh in response. They truly were good friends.

Meilin had barely taken a few steps in the direction of her room when the doors to the living room were opened by the servants right in front of her. "Youngest Miss, your father and mother await you inside," said one of them. She thought nothing of it and walked to where her parents sat inside.

The mood was tense. Her father and mother sat beside each other with a cup of tea in each of their hands and a few pastries decorating the plates on the table, but what caught her attention was the scroll with the royal seal.

"Meilin, you can run around in the rain for food but not wish your parents a good morning?" it was her mother who spoke first and like always, she was filled with criticism. Meilin had grown used to it.

"Never mind that. Come here, child," her father said as he patted the seat beside her. Meilin obediently sat next to her favourite parent. "We have received news this morning - about you." He took a moment of silence before continuing. "The emperor has declared that you will his 9th son, Prince Li Wei at the beginning of next month."

The dumplings were long forgotten at this point as Meilin stared dumbfounded at her parents before turning her attention at the scroll on the table.

"Meilin," this time it was her mother, "you know that it has been hard trying to find you a partner but now the opportunity had presented itself on a gold platter. We must - we cannot reject! Marrying into the royal family is something every girl wants."

Not this girl.

"Do I really not have a choice in this?"

Her mother had now began to lose her patience. "Meilin! Have we raised you, provided you with food and shelter for you to not be grateful? We know what is good for you -"

Meilin did not bother to listen to the rest of her mother's outrageous rant as she stood up and ran out of the room.

"Miss!" Daiyu followed hotly behind and just about managed to enter her bedroom before Meilin slid the doors shut.

"Mariage, marriage, marriage! That's all she ever thinks about!" Meilin raged as she dropped herself down on her bed. She felt exhausted by all of this.

"Miss, please. Let's not be unreasonable here. You could at least give this a try -"

"There's no giving this a chance because whether i like it or not, I will have to marry this prince."

***
Hi! My first ever story and I've been heavily inspired by ancient Chinese web novels that I've been binge reading for ages!

If you happened to come across my book, please let me know your thoughts ❤️