10 - Starry Market

CHAPTER TEN

The pink hue on their necks had slowly developed into spots that were getting bigger with every flicker of the candle and although the doctor had long arrived, no action had yet been taken. It was nothing the newly apprentice turned doctor had ever seen before.

"Hey," Meilin whispered over to Li Wei, "you said you have seen this type of poison before. Should you not know how to treat it, as well?"

"I was a mere child. How can I remember, or even know, what the doctor used?" In the hazy state of 9 year old Li Wei, all he remembered were flashes of green herbs being boiled to make a bitter concoction. He wished he could have been of more help but this was all he could offer.

"So they will likely end up...dead?" A shiver shot down her spine at the word escaping from her lips.

Li Wei exhaled a long breath, "most likely." If they had only arrived a little earlier then they could have caught the person in the act. Now the chances were looking very slim.

"Your Highness," the young doctor turned to speak, "may I ask how you found these officials?"

"I was paying a visit to thank them for their hard work during this recent case. Whilst sipping on tea they began feeling light headed and not a second later they had fallen back." The young doctor took in his words without a doubt, though it was expected with the way the lie came out so naturally.

"I am afraid this is nothing I have ever seen before. If anything, these men will have only a few hours left to live."

After the doctor took his leave, Meilin continued to stare at the bodies on the ground. She could not help but think that whoever was responsible was not only dangerous, but also ruthless. To mercilessly kill people without a second thought was too cruel.

"Do you want to leave?" Li Wei asked from beside her. He had once again noticed how quiet she had gotten. "The men will arrive soon to take the bodies back to the morgue. There is no use in staying here," he gently probed. Meilin absentmindedly nodded her head and followed her husband out to where their carriage awaited them.

The sun had settled quite a bit from when they had first arrived and specks of orange were starting to fill the sky. Meilin appreciatively pulled back the curtains in their carriage and leaned her face on her hands as she stared out. Thankfully the streets of the city were almost empty and so she did not have to think about people staring at her.

"It is scary to think that it could be any one of these people next."

Li Wei turned to look at his wife. "What do you mean?"

"Those innocent people that lost their lives were also living their lives as any other until it was selfishly taken away from them. They could not even dare to think such a thing could happen to them..."

Meilin's words slipped away from her just as the tears she had been holding back fought their way out. It was the first time she felt such way - grief, sadness and anger all in one.

"Are you crying?" To her surprise, Li Wei's voice came out softer than she expected and he was not in fact mocking her. Too embarrassed to speak, she wiped the stray tears with her sleeve and nodded.

"Would you rather not return to the palace yet?"

"Where do you propose we go instead?" Meilin asked.

"I happen to know the best place for somebody of your...nature."

Meilin shot up defensively. "What is that supposed to mean?" She asked with her arms crossed over her chest as she glared at him. All previous thoughts about the victims were pushed to the back of her mind, just as Li Wei had hoped. His lips showed a betrayal of a smile before he quickly wiped it away. It was just too easy to distract her.

"Have you ever been to the starry market before?"

At the mention of this place Meilin instantly lit up. "The starry market? Of course not! Father would never let me leave the house after sunset, even with guards," she pouted. "Is that where we are going?"

Li Wei watched as excitement took over her little figure - she was almost bouncing in her seat. "You know, you look much like a little puppy right now."

"Puppy?" Meilin asked, puzzled.

"Yes, puppy. I would not be surprised if you started drooling next," he said with a chuckle.

As if on instinct, Meilin reached out to where he sat and smacked his arm, surprising Li Wei in the midst of it.

"Did you just hit a prince?" The man was bewildered.

"Prince or not, if you say silly things then you deserve to be hit."

"Then I guess this prince will not be escorting you to the starry market. A shame, really..." he trailed off smugly whilst turning his head away to look out of the window.

Meilin was in a dilemma. On one hand the starry market was the biggest fascination of the city and not just anyone could have the chance to experience it, and on the other hand she would rather walk the distance home, barefoot, than give in to Li Wei.

Unfortunately her curiosity got the better of her.

"If I apologise will you take me to the starry market?" She asked quietly, as if she could not believe she was suggesting such a thing.

"I was not even expecting an apology, but now that you have brought it up, I suppose it is the right thing to do."

Biting back the words that wanted to escape her mouth, Meilin instead forced a smile. "I. Apologise. Your. Highness." The words felt heavier as she went on but she finally managed to choke out an apology.

Satisfied with the turn of events, Li Wei carefully moved to the front of the carriage and said something Meilin could not hear but she guessed he was instructing to be taken to the starry market. Suddenly, all the negative feelings were replaced with excitement as she began looking forward to their destination.

"Tell me, what is it like at the starry market?"

Once again Li Wei pictured an over excited pup but this time he kept that thought to himself. "Lively."

"That is all?" She was not disappointed with the answer but she was expecting something a little more descriptive. "I have heard that the food is mouthwatering. Music both blissful and vibrant. And entertainment fit for a king!" The more she spoke the more she looked forward to it.

Li Wei let her ramble on to her hearts desire while he half heartedly listened. His mind was occupied from their afternoon trip and no matter how much he tried to keep up with Meilin, he often found himself thinking of the earlier event.

"We're here!"

Energetic as ever, Meilin leaped up from the carriage without waiting for Li Wei. Her steps had a youthful bounce to it which mimicked the childish glee on her face. She was very much happy to be here.

It was almost as if the air was different here. Just from the entrance she was already enamoured with the lanterns that filled the now dark sky, illuminating the people who wandered around, laughing and chatting away.

"What would you like to do first?" Li Wei had finally caught up to her.

"Everything!" She replied back with a wide smile adorning her face.

"Everything?" The sound of that had already exhausted the prince. "How about we try some cakes first? I know you like those," he suggested, pointing to a stall nearby. The aroma was certainly tempting and Meilin had no reason to refuse.

Sweets in hand the couple walked from stall to stall admiring everything in view. From afar they almost seemed like a normal couple: a happy wife and doting husband looking over her (though Li Wei would never admit it). For now everything was okay.