•28•

HECC YEAH I'M BACK
-

The dance actually was a big hit. Between the concessions, music requests, ticket prices, and the haunted house, we raised around $1,800! If we did a dance like that everyday, we'd have enough money raised 2 months early without even having to lie about anything!

Too bad we can't do a dance like that everyday, huh?

Evan was in the passenger seat scrolling through his phone as I drove him home. We hadn't spoken much since our little debacle outside earlier. That was fine, though. I was fine with the silence.

My phone pinged and Evan shot up, startled.

"Jeez, Evan," I said, chuckling, "It's just my phone."

"Aren't you gonna check it?" He asked as I continued driving.

"No, Evan. I'm not. That's distracted driving and I'm a responsible member of society." Evan smiled a little and nodded, as I kept my eyes on the road like a responsible member of society.

"Do you want me to check your phone?" He asked. "I mean, you never know, it might be important."

I shrugged, "Probably not, but ok. Whatever fruits your loops."

Evan shrugged and picked my phone up from inside the cup holder. "It's from Alana." He said.

"Ok so definitely not important."

"Something about a recording? It has an audio attachment to it. Do people still use audio attachments?" He said.

"I didn't think so." I responded. "But then again, Alana. Not important."

Evan nodded and set my phone down.

I was fairly certain that the audio attachment was the one she took of me at the dance. The one where I confessed for Evan or something. Something mischievous and Alana-like.

But, come on, that had to be a slip in words. I don't actually like Evan like that-

Actually, screw it. There's no way I don't like Evan like that. I mean, have you even been reading? Obviously I like Evan. I'd just hate to admit it to anyone, even myself. I've spent so long trying to hate Evan. To push him and tease him. And suddenly a big lie comes around and POOF! Evan is now the cutest boy alive and I'm in love.

See, even thinking things like this make me uncomfortable. I don't like having feelings. It's all screwed up. Everything's all screwed up!

But as much as I'd like to deny it, I am sitting in a car with a boy who loves me who I love back. It's unreal and it feels impossible, but then again, isn't that just how life screws with you?

Am I gonna say anything to Evan? No. Am I gonna continue lying to myself saying I don't like Evan? Definitely.

Who were we talking about again?

I pulled in to Evan's driveway and got out.

"Of course you're walking me in." Evan said, but he was obviously happy about it.

I shrugged, "Might as well be a gentleman." Evan's face went the taddest bit pink as he walked up to his door with me.

He got his key out of his pocket before putting it the keyhole. He twisted the key, and his face went white.

"What is it? Having trouble unlocking the door again?"

"It's..." He said, shivering either because of the temperature or because of his current mood, "already unlocked. Shit."

"Ok so you forgot to lock the door big deal-"

Then the door was yanked open from the other side, reveling a rather angry looking Ms. Hansen.