Incident (part 2)

Josh didn't remember falling asleep, but he was sure he was dreaming when he heard her sweet laugh. He smiled sadly, tears filling his eyes. He'd never realised how much he loved hearing that sound until he couldn't.

It's been two days since the incident and Josh hadn't left Maya's side for a second. Eventhough Shawn and Katy, Cory and Topanga were back, he refused to leave her room.

What made it worse, was after the police stopped by. They'd told them that the teens who did this were targetting Maya specifically. They grew up in the same neighborhood as her. Their paths crossed again recently and they tried to convince her to help them rob some of her richer classmates. They weren't so happy that she refused.

When Josh learned of this he wouldn't leave her side. He needed to make sure she was okay, that there wasn't someone else who'd tried to hurt her.

His eyes slowly opened, trying to adjust to the bright light that reflected of the room's white walls. A tear rolled down his cheek, as his sight landed on her beautiful blue eyes. "Maya," he said, shooting out of his seat.

Gently, he placed his hands on her cheeks, as if to make sure she was really there, really awake and not his imagination.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," she teased him, flinching slightly as she tried to sit up more.

"You're awake," he noted relieved.

She smirked. "So are you," she teased. Making him shake his head, a smile spreading on his face. "My Mom and Dad went to talk to the doctor," she informed him.

A moment of silence filled the room. "I hear I should be congratulating you," she added, her teasing tone very present.

He frowned and looked at her questioningly. "Or maybe I should congratulate myself," she hinted further. "After all, it only took me getting stabbed for the age difference to loose it's importance."

Finally he understood what she was talking about. His face instantly turned bright red. "I needed to know you were okay," he justified.

She nodded in understanding. "I'd still like to get the ring," she told him casually.

He smiled. If she was teasing him, she must be okay. That was all that mattered to him in that moment. "Who told you anyway? Riley? Shawn?"

"The nurse that kept coming in here giving both of us very disapproving looks," Maya shrugged. "At one point, she tried to convince me that I needed to wait a little and browse my options." She laughed, causing him to smile wider at the sound. "Told her when you hit the jackpot, you don't need to think twice."

He sat down on the bed besides her and he could see her brace herself for the unevitable rejection. He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "I think I'm the one that hit the jackpot here, Gorgeous."

He almost laughed out loud as he watched her eyes widened comically. Her jaw dropped and she was unable to react any further. "Are you okay there?"

She took a deep breath to collect herself. "I think it's best we call the doctor now," she said, causing panic to overflow him. "I think all that bloodloss made me delusional."

He visibly relaxed and leaned down for a brief kiss. A real one this time. "You scared me," he confessed as he pulled away.

"I'm sorry," she frowned. "We were both teasing each other. I thought you'd understand I was joking."

Josh sighed and shook his head, trying to clear his head of the images of the last few day, all the possibilities of what could have happened to her. "You scared me at the school. You were nowhere to be found and then they carried you out covered in blood." Tears steadily streamed down his cheeks. "They wouldn't tell me anything."

She pulled him closer to her, whispering reassuring words in his ear. "I could have lost you back there," he sobbed. "I would have never had the chance to tell you how I feel."

She placed her hands on either side of his face and forced him to look up at her. "I'm alright, Josh. I'm right here. I'm here with you." He nodded and pulled her into another desperate kiss.

"I love you, Maya. Forget the long game. Forget about someday. I want to be with you right now. I don't care what others think or the age difference or anything else. I don't want to waste any more time not being with you," he said honestly.

Smiling, she pulled him into another kiss. This one a little deeper, more passionate. "I've been yours all along," she told him. "I love you too."

When Shawn and Katy entered the room, they found the two cuddled up together. They smiled at each other and made their way to the couch. As they passed by the couple, Shawn placed his hand on his shoulder.

Eventhough he didn't say anything, Josh understood him loud and clear. He nodded back. Of course he'd always be there to protect and take care of her.