Sixteen: Connections

"So, wait." Jay leaned forward in the leather seat. "Did Carmen really see your tits?"

Vera choked on her sip of ice-cold water.

Deep red lips peeled back to bare his teeth in wicked delight. "Don't be embarrassed. We all saw Carmen shove a cup up her pussy. Plus, it's not like you've got anything for her to see."

"Excuse me," Vera scoffed, setting down her sweating glass just a little too firmly. "My boobs are very nice, thank you."

"I hate to break it to you, Vee, but when you turn sideways you disappear."

"Bitch. Some people work hard for that. I'm just naturally two-dimensional."

Gold eyeshadow glimmered in the dim light as Jay threw his head back, cackling. "Two-dimensional! I love that."

Around them, the tiny restaurant burst with chatter and the clatter of dishes. Gaudy gold decor mirrored the shimmer of Jay's makeup, and savoury scents of tomatoes and cumin saturated the air. They were waiting on Bea. Vera's stomach pinched with hunger.

Stiletto tapping an impatient rhythm against the tile floor, she swallowed another mouthful of water. Maybe she could trick her stomach into calming down until she could fill it. Jay swore his aunt made the best curry in LA, but right then Vera would have been more than happy with greasy daal and lukewarm naan from a chain restaurant, delivered to her hotel room and eaten in pyjamas in front of the TV.

"At least someone seems to appreciate what you've got," Jay said with a suggestive wiggle of his eyebrows. "Should I be expecting mama Sharise to be blissed out on love next time I see her?"

Vera grinned. "I don't kiss and tell."

"You just did."

"Okay, but I don't tell details."

"Girl, you told me all about how your ex-boyfriend liked his blowjobs first thing in the morning when he was still all ball-stanky with risk of dick cheese."

With a snort of laughter, Vera shoved him in the arm. "This's different. Alex was an asshole. And you know Sharise."

Jay wrinkled his nose. "Actually, you're right. I don't want details. That'd be like listening to my dad tell me how my mom likes it." He shuddered theatrically.

A harried waitress in jeans and a fringed red scarf appeared beside them and began speaking rapidly in Hindi. Jay laughed and responded at length, then said to Vera, "My aunt's getting impatient with us. She's gonna send the food out and Bea will just have to deal."

Vera's stomach growled. "I'm not complaining."

But the food arriving steaming to their table must have been some kind of signal, because Vera had barely reached for the jasmine rice when a short woman waddled through the narrow gap between their table and the next. Jay leaped up to give her a hug, and Vera took the moment to look her over. Tight curls formed a short halo of afro above her round face and the faintest lines creased the corners of her eyes, as though she smiled a lot. Her tight red dress stretched over a belly so big it looked like it should have knocked her right over, which was probably why she cupped it gently with one hand through the hug--to hold herself up.

Jay introduced them. Vera accepted her handshake, proud of herself for not even being weird about. She was getting better at this whole professionalism thing.

Bea sank into her chair with a sigh of enormous relief. "I expected the chick who convinced Carmen to wear her own period blood down a red carpet would be more intimidating," she said, rubbing her belly.