chapter 6

"Are you sure you're okay Itachi?" Fox asked again.

A lump formed in her throat choking her mind in a tangled knot that kept getting worse, slowly taking up more of her mental capacity with each passing moment. The more she picked at it the worse it got, the more she wanted to puke, her stomach empty save for the light breakfast she had hours ago was ravenous demanding to be fed as it drained the strength from her limbs.

"I'm fine," She repeated, swallowing everything down, pushing everything out and away from her as quickly as she could. "I'm fine," She repeated her feet digging into the soft sand of the lake shore.

A breath. A moment of clarity. The blood stopped rushing to her head and her heart slowed. "I'm fine."

Sasuke clicked her teeth and placed another hand onto her shoulder, guiding her as much as forcing her to sit down in the shade once again. "That's three fine's which means you're not fine."

Even if it was true, that logic was flawed.

Her sister spun, slapping Naruto in the chest. "This all your fault you idiot! She said she didn't want to jump but you just had to push her!"

"I said I was sorry," Naruto groaned rubbing at the spot like a dog might lick its wounds. "I just thought that once she got in she might start having fun like you did,"

"Idiot," Sasuke sneered, crossing her arms and looking away from him. "We were enjoying ourselves just fine!

"I'm fine," she repeated, stopping the argument before it began. Hopefully. "I just had a sudden cramp is all, I haven't swam in a long time."

Narrowed black eyes were directed her way. Sasuke didn't believe her. Not for a second. "Fine, sure, have it your way. It's still his fault."

"I'm not going to leave you Sasuke," The words slipped out of her mouth, smooth like ice and filled her heart with a warmth. They were the only family they had left. She looked towards Naruto who was standing, arm flexing as he scratched the back of his head, face knotted up in confusion. He was family too. He wouldn't leave her either.

Those words had a subtle nearly invisible effect on Sasuke, removing the fire in her eyes and forcing a smile on her face. Even Naruto moved to bump her in the shoulder. "I know, besides it's not like you're going to be done in by some idiot pushing you into a lake. It's just you've been acting off recently."

"It's because of me right?" Naruto asked still scratching the back of his head. "I mean, I can kind of tell that you don't really know how to deal with me and you keep saying half of what you mean. So maybe I should just move out or something? I can stay with Lee, or-"

"No," She smiled looking up at him. Her voice calm and firm. "Please stay. It will be good for," She paused trying to find the reason. There was none beyond a simple desire, an admiration that stretched far and deep. "Both me and Sasuke, I think we could both learn to be a bit more social."

"Speak for yourself I'm plenty social." Sasuke snorted, pushing a strand of her wet hair out of her eyes.

"You made a waitress cry the last time we went out."

Her sister did not refute this. "Yea, well, whatever, my sister is still right you dumbass, besides it's only been a day. And I'm not letting you stay with Lee, and especially not Kiba."