i. first contact

"Kid, hey - Two. Wake up."

Two slowly opened her eyes and found herself in some sort of hospital bed, tubes going through her nose down her throat. Her legs were numb and she could hardly feel her feet and fingertips. She tried to move and winced, aching as she breathed.

"Don't try to move. Y-you need to rest," A voice she didn't recognise spoke from beside her. A round man with curly hair and a lab coat sat on a chair beside her bed. "I'm gonna' help you get out of here, okay?"

"Get out?"

"Yeah. I've seen what happens to Martin's test subjects and it doesn't end well. Your Papa."

"Papa?" she innocently repeated the words she recognised.

"He's a bad man. And you will die if you stay here. So I'm helping you escape," he told her certainly, putting his hand on hers.

Jumping away from him proved to be quite painful, "Sor-sorry. I should've known better. My bad," he apologised,"But here's the plan -" he began unplugging her from the wires, "I'm going to distract the... bad men while you run. Okay? Can you figure out how to find the entrance?"

Two was a stranger to the world outside the lab. Her Earth was a metal block that stood planted to the ground surrounded by a forest. Surely, Two's eyes watered at the overwhelming possibility of it, outside had to be better than in here.

"Are you ready?"

Two glared at the wall across from her and tried to hold up her arm for as long as possible for her to retain the powers. Parasites swiftly climbed up it like creeping ivy and devoured it's way into the wall - the insulation moaned, the bricks squealed.

"Ready."

____________________

Two desperately ran through the empty halls, wondering how the man managed to distract so many of the bad men. Every corridor looked the same, every door was identical. Finally, she managed to find the entrance doors, guarded by two heavily armed soldiers. She pushed past them with no hope of escape and out into the freezing night, the icy air prickling her skin and spiking the hair on the back of her neck. They began to chase after her, yelling inaudible words into their walkie-talkies as she stopped and turned to look at them and made the black death that shaped to her command crawl up their legs. Two watched as her dark hair blew in front of her face. The men stopped to try to brush it off, eventually hitting each other and rolling on the floor to recover themselves from the poisoned ash as she scarpered away.

The skies were black as she reached the fence outside the research facility, hopelessly wandering the edges for an escape from this wicked place. An incredibly narrow tunnel made her furrow her eyebrows and shoot around when she heard loud voices from the top of the Lab.

"Run, Two! Get yourself far away from this place!" The familiar stranger screamed, his silhouette was a white outline against the sky.

She heard the bang before anything else, a small explosion sending his body flying down from the roof and to almost explode when it crashed to the ground. Two turned back to the tunnel with fear in her eyes, knowing if she didn't climb through now her only other option was a lifetime ruined, leading to her eventual death.

Her hospital gown snagged on the fence as she entered the woods surrounding the facility and the pine cones and twigs snapped beneath her bare, shivering feet. The chilly winds of the night pierced her skin where tears had fallen from her eyes. She continued whispering the only words she knew aimlessly as she made her way through the seemingly endless trees that made her terrified voice echo when she spoke.