10 - Chapter Ten

FOUND

          "Will you stop pacing ?" Mike complained.
"It's been way too long." Dustin sighed."You know what ? Maybe you're right - maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now !"
"They will if you carry on shouting, calm down." Isaac warned.
"It's not a trap ! Why would the chief set us up ? Nancy, maybe, but the chief ?" Lucas tried to reason.
"Lando Calrissian."
"Would you shut up about Lando !?" The group rushed to the front to peer out of the windscreen as engines could be heard and saw two cars pulling in, blocking the entrances.
"Shit !" The children immediately leapt back into place, staying away from the windows, planted to the floor. Two reached for Isaac's hands and squeezed them both tight as they sprawled across the floor.
"Lando." Dustin panted.
"You think they saw us ?" 
"Both of you, shut up." The door creaked open, ashes slowly crawling towards it but paused when a loud thump could be heard, followed by more grunts and hitting sounds until the door was fully forced open and everyone stood up, watching a familiar, stubbled face gaze around at the misfits who had found themselves in the strangest of circumstances. Hopper sighed as he laid eyes on the girls - the boys had been hiding them the entire time - and announced,

"Alright, let's go."

____________________

          The car journey back was extremely stressful since Jim hadn't counted on Isaac and Two being with them, and so had to squeeze into tiny spots. Isaac and Eleven squeezed into the foot-wells in the back, all curled up, and Two folded into a ball on the front seat next to Hopper. It was night time when they arrived back outside Will's house, and greeted his Mom - Joyce - his brother - Johnathon - and Nancy.
"Mike. Oh, my God, Mike ! I was worried about you !" Nancy immediately pulled him into a hug.
"Uh... me, too." She suddenly noticed Eleven and asked,
"Is that my dress ?" 

Inside the house, Isaac, Eleven and Two were introduced to everyone and sat down at the table whilst Mike began to explain all they had uncovered since the beginning.
"Okay, so, this is the example - we're the acrobat," He held up the piece of paper showing a stick-man on one side of a metaphorical rope and a flea on the other."Will and Barbara, and that monster - they're the flea. We're not so sure about Two, yet. She's connected but she stays up here. And this is The Upside Down - where Will is. Mr Clarke said the only way to get there is through time and space."
"A gate."
"Like the one we tracked to Hawkins Lab."
"With out compasses." The children were stared out blankly for a second before Dustin was obliged to explain,"So, the gate has this really strong electromagnetic field and that can change the direction of a compass needle."
"Is this gate underground ?" Hopper guessed.
"Yes." Two confirmed, looking at Eleven as he asked again,
"Is it near a large water tank ?" 
"Yes." El followed.
"H-How did you know all that ?"
"...He's seen it." Mike sighed.

"Is-is there any way that you could... reach Will ? That you could talk to him ? Either of you ?" Joyce asked hopefully, eyes shifting between the girls. Eleven nodded, but Two was reluctant.
"And my friend, Barbara ?" Nancy leaned forward,"Could you talk to her, too ?"

____________________

          The sound of static hurt Two's sensitive ears as she watched her sister place her hands on old pictures and try to find the missing in The Upside Down. The light flickered and Eleven opened her eyes, on the verge of brimming with tears.
"I'm sorry." She whispered. 
"W-why, what's wrong ?" Joyce stuttered out.
"I can't find them." This caused a slight bump in the atmosphere, and Eleven getting up quickly to flee into the bathroom.
"What's wrong with her ?" Jim asked quietly .
"Tired." Two sighed.
"A little less vague ?"
"Whenever they use their powers, they get drained." Isaac explained.
"These girls can literally flip vans !" Dustin yelled.
"It's awesome."
"But they get drained - like a bad battery." 
"How do we make her better ?" Joyce quizzed.
"We don't, we just wait and try again later."
"For how long ?" Nancy pressed.
"...I don't know."