The​ ​Kalei​do​sc​op​ic​ and​ ​Ach​rom​atic​ ​Journey of ​Two Teenage Girls

The loud guitar riffs and baselines constantly ripped through the air accompanied by the pounding of drums. The beginning of a new song started to play through the speakers; the heavy distorted guitar and drums created a unique sound.

"What about this one?" Mötley asked, a quizzical look on her face. "What color is this one? It's new."

For the past hour and a half Mötley and Bandit had been laying side by side listening to songs on the radio. Everytime a song they have heard before came on, Mötley's olive green eyes would light up as she remembered the color Bandit associated with it and she'd scream it out. Watching Mötley's face as she did this was priceless; it was almost like she could actually see the colors.

"This one is... dark red, almost blood red. But only of the deepest of pitches, the higher ones are a plum purple. It's "Dr. Feelgood" by Mötley Crüe by the way." Bandit told her. She looked over at Mötley, her long auburn hair spread out like a mane around her scrunched up face. "What's on you mind?" Bandit added.

Mötley looked over at her. "Hm, oh it just... must be nice. Ya know, to be able to see colors. The way you do. They seem amazing. Magical even; the way you talk about them at least. I would give anything to see the brilliant blue of your eyes or the bright teal of your hair you claim it to be." She brushed a piece of Bandit's short and choppy hair out of her eyes.

A million thoughts rushed through Bandit's head; it's not all its cracked up to be, it's a pain to have colors bombarding your sight with every sound you hear, there is more to it.

"Mötley, it's not what you think it is. I don't just see colors like normal people do. I see them with sounds and music too. You know that. And your voice, for instance, it's the color of lilac; a soft, pale purple. Seeing the color as you talk makes it hard to concentrate and it's the same thing with all the other things." Bandit replied with a deflated sigh.

"That's why," Mötley said as she jumped up knocking Bandit off the bed in the process. "Oops, sorry." She looked down over the side of the bed at Bandit giggling, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine," she replied laughing. "Just threw me for a scare, literally."

Mötley continued on with her spiel, "I would kill to see colors again though, and not just like I used to before the accident, but with every sound I hear. I think that's wonderful seeing beautiful colors with different sounds. I want to experience colors, not just see them."

Mötley stopped talking for a few seconds for a new song came on. Both Mötley and Bandit knew exactly what song it was; "Untraveled Road" by Thousand Foot Krutch. It was one of Mötley and Bandit's special songs. One that they keep close to their hearts. Bandit saw the electric green and baby blue colors swirl around her vision in a variety of swirls and lines, some even in the form of shapes, and Mötley knew exactly what colors Bandit saw. This was the first song Bandit and Mötley shared together. It's where their friendship started.

Mötley layed back down beside Bandit. "But without you, I would've forgotten what colors even looked like. Everything would just be black and white with a mix of grey. They still are but you get what I'm saying. I still remember the colors through the songs."

"I don't see how I helped you. You could have just associated colors with certain things like a record reminds you of blue and cars of green because your favorite album cover's blue and the car your parents had when you were a child was green." Bandit interjected.

"It's not the same though, this... this feels right. That doesn't. This feels like its suppose to be like this. Ya know. Every color you say with each song feels like its correct, like math almost. How 1+1=2, 2+2=4 and so on." Mötley insisted as she stared at Bandit in her black Misfits shirt, leather jacket, and jeans which are both also black as well. The only reason Mötley knew Bandit's outfit was black was because it is significantly darker than the rest of her bedroom; that just being different shades of grey.

"Maybe one day they'll find a way for you to see color again, maybe even like me." Bandit mused.

"Maybe..." Mötley trailed off.

A couple songs go by until a different type of song came on, "This one... it's special." Bandit scrunched her face up, "The colors are... They're all there but like some take over more than others throughout the song."

"What song is it?"

"Don't know?" Bandit reached over across Mötley and grabbed for her phone on the floor. Turning it on, she read the song title and name of the band. "It's "Every Kind of Way" by H.E.R."

"Oh..."

They continued to lay there on Mötley's bed deep in their own thoughts, listening to the songs on the radio. Bandit periodically whispering the colors to new songs and Mötley would try her hardest to remember them.