CHAPTER 10

SOMILA

"We’re hitting the bar tonight.” I tell Tlhogi after mum tells us that she’s sleeping over at Mondeor. This has been the most gruesome week I’ve ever come across in my entire life and a few drinks would do us good. I say “us” because I know that I’m not the only one who has suffered a great ordeal during this past week, my condition has had an effect on my mum and mostly
on Tlhogi, who knows almost everything about the relationship I shared with Lizo. “I think that’s a good idea, we need to unwind a little.” Tlhogi agrees with me. “Will you be okay to stay on your own for a few hours?” I ask Katli who doesn’t seem bothered at all, “I’m going to the social with my friends, don’t worry about me.” she replies and I laugh. My thirteen year old sister is already going out at her age, when I only got that chance after the ripe age of eighteen.

After mum leaves with Mihle, all three of us start getting ready. I’m dressed in black skinny jeans, a plain white long-sleeved crop top, and my sweet-pink, sharp-point two inch heels. I’ve put on minimal makeup – mascara, a little foundation and my nude lipstick. My locks are curly as I’ve spent some of my day removing the twists which I had braided while bored at that hospital and they hang below my shoulders.

Tlhogi has a full face-beat, she’s dressed in
black denim boyfriend jeans which are torn in style on her thigh, but there’s a net replacing the denim material that has been purposely torn off. A velvet pink body-suit with spaghetti straps, underneath the body suit, she wears a black polo-neck, and a pair of black-suede sharp-point four inched heels. Her hair is hanging on one side of her head, revealing the cut on the other side.
Both my sisters are taller than I am, but her high heels have made her even taller.

Katli on the other hand wears a yellow hoodie with an owl printed in brown over her chest area, black skinny jeans that have cool objects printed in white, and her black and white Vans sneakers. Her hair is a big and curly afro and she leaves it that way.

I am a little tipsy since I poured a big glass of red wine while we were getting ready. I put my glass in the sink when I’m done, then reapply my lipstick. “Okay, we’re waiting for your friends to get here so that we know what car you rode in and who you left with… just in case.” I say to Katli and she smiles as her phone makes a beep. “They’re outside.” she says as she throws her yellow vintage backpack on her back. Tlhogi and I both take our small hand bags- mine dusty pink and hers black, both with a golden chain as a strap.

Tlhogi locks the door and opens the gate where we all walk to the white Suzuki Ertiga that is parked outside our gate. “Hi guys, these are my sisters. They just wanted to see who I’m going with.” she says as she rolls her eyes. “Well you
guys have a good time.” I say, “And don’t drink and drive!” Tlhogi adds and the kids laugh and whistle as we walk away. There were two boys in the front seat, and two girls seated right at the back of the seven-seater car. Another girl is seated right behind the passenger boy, meaning that Katli will be seated behind the driving boy.

After getting in my car and taking the fifteen-minute drive to the bar, Tlhogi and I are parked right opposite the entrance of the bar again. Tonight I notice that there’s a neon light above the door with the name: McCoy’s bar.
We enter and I lead her to the bar counter, where we take our seats on the high stools and order our first round of tequila shots… four shots Tequila gold . . . four shots tequila silver . . . eight shots of sour smackers. We continue with this sequence until both our visions have become fuzzy. Tlhogi notices a good-looking lesbian playing snooker with a friend. The stud is mixed-race, pale but
beautiful, skinny, tall and has a short, blond, buzz cut. “OMG he’s so handsome.” she leans in to tell me through the music that has picked up over the past hour, “Why do you call her a he?” I ask and we laugh at my sentence construction, “Because she’s a stud/butch which automatically makes her a he.” we both laugh at our idiocy. “Ask for his digits.” I prompt her and she gets up and walks to the stud.