Chapter 9 Resistance and Resistance 1/2

Valerie paced back and forth across the room. 

Jessica stared from her chair. Her friend's fits were typically on display whenever she failed to nab AV tickets, but something seemed off tonight. Valerie's attire – The only thing skin-tight article was her black shirt. Homegirl dressed much like herself, pocketed vest and everything. Even the forehead goggles were new, blue covert-style lenses. 

Jessica was in a belittling mood. "What did you do, or what did you miss out on?"

"Uhhh, I don't even know where to start, homegirl."

"You said you needed me."

"That's only because I'm in a bind, Jess."

"Okay then, what constitutes a 'bind' in your dictionary?"

Valerie breathed in then out.

In.

Out.

"I'm with the resistance."

Jessica's finger twitched. Anger ruptured her bowels, rising further into her throat. Hot with unease, her analytical eyes leered in blind resentment. Rage stiffened her joints until she quivered. Her hands wrapped into fists, and the heat of her heart targeted Valerie, who still seemed lost in thought.

With stomps and fumbling force, she wrapped Valerie's neck and slammed her against the wall. The girl's eyes bulged from surprise, pain, and wonder. Jessica's words blew into her ears.

"Either you're joking and have a fucked-up sense of humor, or you're sleeping with murderers! Do you know what's going on?"

Val struggled to breathe, slave to unrecognizable rage on a familiar face. Choked by hand, her friend's red eyes choked by remorse, all she could do was cackle and latch onto the wrist.

A knock on the door. Jessica loosened her grip, at which point Valerie kicked her leg then backhanded her chin. That didn't stop Jess from rushing again. Valerie evaded, coupling the maneuver with an upward knee to the stomach.

Jess hit the floor, and all she could do was moan on the ground. Valerie solemnly crouched beside her.

"I need you to calm down, Jess."

"Why?" she moaned.

The door to the apartment opened from the other side. Valerie aimed a Baretta pistol with a rail weight attachment. The arrival, clad in black, was Shannon.

She blinked and threw her arms up into the air. Her arms lowered, however, when Valerie's face illuminated.

"What are you doing?"

Val spoke slowly. "I can explain."

Jessica's hand sprung and caught the gun barrel, so Shannon charged. In the ensuing struggle, Shannon took the barrel between her fingers, while Jess pulled Valerie's other arm away. Splitting her strength, Valerie could do nothing as Shannon stepped between them.

Eventually, Shannon tugged the gun out of Valerie's stubborn fingers then pushed her onto the bed. Likewise, due to her friend's constant jostling, she shoved Jessica onto the spinning chair. The woman's insurmountable speed and strength were not enough to dissuade Valerie, who seethed, "That's mine!"

Shannon toted the gun overhead when Valerie threw a fist. She parried and blocked an incoming kick with her leg. Their feud ended the moment Valerie was pistol-whipped on the side of her face. "Ow..."

"I'll do it hard next time! "Shannon growled before turning to Jessica.

The two were set on opposite sides now, Jess on the chair and Val on the bed sadly rubbing herself. A moment to breathe, at last, Shannon tucked the pistol in her back waistline. "So, what the shit is going on?"