Chapter 27 Share, Comment, Subscribe 3/3

"This is gonna hurt!" As straightly, as carefully as her unsteady hands could manage, she pushed Malvis aside and allowed the blade to slide out.

David spasmed and moaned. "No!" he whimpered. "Finish what you started."

"You need my help!"

"I'll be alright. The blade missed my heart. I can feel it. I have time..."

Jessica bobbed the tip of her foot non-stop, chewing her finger at the sight. He wasn't going anywhere, which was a bitter pill to swallow. Death became an intrusive acquaintance long ago, interfering in her life wherever she went. His impending arrival froze every trepidation in her throat as she examined David's burnt wound. She felt almost as sorry as he looked, and her body tensed with enough regret to make her realize she was on the tip of her resolve.

"Three more keys... Just three more keys and I would have stopped him. If I had been faster—"

"Stop, Jessica," he coughed. "I finally get to meet the Lynx. Now that we're here, she can't accomplish one task? C'mon."

Jessica withheld a snivel and panic long enough to notice David's optimism.

"Confession," he coughed. "Someone snuck a backdoor into SK-3, but I never found the bug I thought I was meant to find. No one did. I think he was looking for someone." His chuckle had a painful mewl. "Before I told anyone—before Malvis could accept SK-3 was compromised, I used your discovery, stole everything, then gave a zip to Sub Terra. Now, you're here.

"The best candidate never knew the offices of a corporate machine."

"I'm just a retro geek." Lament overburdened any sort of surprise. Judging by the look in David's glossy eye, he spoke the honest truth. The truth was surreal.

"Now then," David continued, "you can't broadcast across mainstream channels, but there's a super corporation at your disposal, Lynx... You control the invisible hand; land, space, and cyberspace are yours. Do something."

He's right...

Jessica left her new source of inspiration to rest.

After touching hands on the kernel's holographic interface, her fingers danced one last time, and manipulated command consoles across the world and beyond, accounting for every available marvel under the umbrella of the world's largest corporate entity. Satellites appeared on the holo-screen, swiped from image to image, model to model, toggling via whim. Soon after she began her great endeavor, every eye in the sky fell where she chose. New Sumer, the modern bastion, was at her disposal.

"Synching your TPU to the network now, Babel. Take Spearhead, Asgard, and every photovoltaic cell and point them at every viable centrifuge. Lock every smart LED to that drive, and make sure it bounces back to every satellite and every device on earth. So long as there's light, they will have nowhere to hide. Circulate the contents of that chip through everything – I don't care if it's a toaster."

"And just what are you doing, Jessica?"

"Hacking the sun."

Every light in the city and elsewhere illuminated in a cascade. Their bright resonance grew; Christmas had come early. Jessica patiently stood by as all of New Sumer became a single beacon.

Deep breaths.

Everywhere, in all directions and all places, light. Code streams and static invaded all utility and hardware across the sprawl. The code was erratic, transformative, and then cohesive.

The record played. It played and echoed a sea of echoes as billboards and advertisements spilled images of Goliath, its executives, the black sites, and more to the discerning eye. The devil's secrets spread across the city's multimedia devices, streaming dissent.

"I would announce something to the city if I could," David grumbled.

His meaning was obvious. Despite her nerves and ever-present aversion to public speaking, Jessica bit the bullet and lifted a finger over the right button. Then, she pressed and held.

"If you're someone sitting, standing, busy—if you're someone, then listen. Over the next few days, you will see evidence of corporate treason. I can't give any proof beyond what makes its way into the multiverse today, but here's an easy way to get started: Pine Rime.

"The explosions on July fourth were nothing less than a Goliath conspiracy to remind people of fear, and use that fear to spark international conflict. The big-bigs of the Transnational Eden Network want more than they have. Every fragment of data that escapes Goliath today will hold a piece of truth. You may not believe it, but that's the beauty of freethinking, yea? So, take advantage of it while you still have that much. Our world's leaders and their puppets have had over one-hundred years to mold a planet of lies, and it starts with the secrets that spill from cyberspace today. Me though, I don't care enough to lie...

"This is Lynx. Share, comment, subscribe."

Connection cut.

Data streamed across the city, sundry lights flashing along the vast slither of urban boughs. Exhausted, Jessica inhaled a whirlwind and fell back against the node, settling alongside David.

"That's a nice necklace," he said.

Jessica snickered, repressing the aches and murkiness. She felt content to lay there until it all came crashing down. Perhaps, she felt fulfillment. The weight of the world just fell off, anxiety banished from mind and body.

"I got it from my friend," she replied, ogling the necklace around her neck. "It's weird. If not for her, if not for you, I wouldn't be here. I never told her what she did for me before she died. Me meeting her, my friends, it's like they all just meshed into this perfect... luck, I guess. I almost said algorithm, heh. You're going to think I'm weird, but I think of life as this weird algorithm. Then I think, what were the chances of coming to this moment?"

"David."

"David?"