Dog

(inspired by a real event)

I moved to a small apartelle since, it was much more cheaper.

I was a bit worried since the apartelle did not have a fence, nor a gate.

Most of the residents in the apartelle, were young girls, who were still studying their way to graduate college. There was only one male in particular who lived in the apartelle, but he was gay, and everyone was comfortable with him.

I told the landlady about my worries about the gate, and she reassured me it was fine, she had a dog, named Seven, who loyally barks at anyone suspicious enough, to step in the apartelle late at  night.

This still did not make me less worried.

The landlady sighed, and promised, to let my room be closer to the dog house, so that Seven would scare away any strangers, away from my room.

This news eased me a bit.

The apartelle was a bit difficult to get used to. The girls each had their own rooms, but we had to share one large bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, dining room, etc.

We all would have to meet each other everyday, when it was either bathing, or eating.

We would converse about our plans for the days, or share our woes of being a college student.

The older girls acted like good older sisters, to the younger girls.

So the environment was very nice.

Each of us, girls, have a schedule with Seven.

One of us, feeds her, gives her  weekly baths, and her walks.

That night, I had to stay up late, since I had to work on my animation project.

I wore glasses, since my eyesight was slowly getting worse.

I think it was around three-am in the morning, that my door was getting violently scratched at.

At first, it was just small scratches on the door, and I assumed it was Seven.

A few moments later, the scratching got louder.

I ignored it, and thought it was a sign for me to go to sleep.

I went to bed, but the scratching went on for hours and hours.

This scratching on my door would happen each night, for four weeks

It was another of my usual nights again. Working on my animation project, but this was much more difficult to work with this time, because I lost my glasses.

Without my glasses, all I see was a blurry piece of crap.

And there it was again.

Scratching.

This already annoyed me, so I carefully walked to the door, and I called out to Seven.

"Seven! Come here, girl!" I called from my door.

Even with my bad eye sight, I could see the silhouette of the dog, coming right at me.

I thought something was wrong, but I brushed it off.

Seven started to come closer to me, but the nagging feeling in my stomach got stronger.

I immediately slammed my door shut, and locked it.

I asked myself on why I did that, but somehow, I felt relieved.

I went back to my desk, and started drawing the silhouette of Seven.

The next morning, I found my glasses underneath one of my pillows. Relieved, I wore it, and checked my work.

I was horrified.

The drawing of the silhouette of Seven, that I made, was nothing alike the dog that barks, when there are strangers.

Rather, the drawing looked like a person, crawling on all fours, tall and bony.

It was nothing alike Seven.

Seven was smaller and cuter.

Later, at the dining room, one of the girls started talking about the stuff happening around the neighborhood.

How an old woman, tall and bony, would crawl on all fours, and  start to scratch people's doors.

I was damn glad, I closed my door last night, before it was too late.