Chapter 1: Midnight Attack

Ben's POV

I was just sleeping soundly in my bed after a long day at school. But my life wouldn't be my life if I didn't get attacked. It was already 2am when a shadowy figure pounced on me, waking me up from my sweet dreams.

"Eri- Aaargh! Who are you?! Please don't kill me! How d-"

My attacker pinned my arms and legs to my bed and somehow managed to also cover my mouth. The only thing I saw was their sleek black outfit, just like Erica's. But they didn't have her wonderful smell of lilacs and gunpowder.

"I'll have to do that if you don't cooperate with me," my attacker hissed in a threatening voice, making a shiver go down my spine.

"W-what do you want?"

"I'm going to release my hand. You'd better keep your mouth shut."

I only nodded in response. I don't know if it was because I didn't want to risk not keeping my mouth shut or I was just too scared to make a sound.

The next thing I felt was a needle abruptly stabbed into my neck. A cold liquid was seeping into my veins, quickly calming me down... as I felt my eyelids getting heavier and I was slowly drifting off to sleep.. Did... I... get... seda-

Beep...beep...beep...

I woke up to my alarm sounding. It was 7am. Once I realized I had woken up, I jumped out of my bed, looking for my attacker. What happened? Was I dreaming? Then I found a small note written on a strange oily paper on my bedside table. It wrote:

"I'm terribly sorry I had to do that, Ben. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. It's complicated. Just know I'll be watching you    . Don't worry."
There seemed to be two words crossed out, But they were too scribbled for me to make out the words.

Don't worry?! For all I know, this could be a SPYDER agent planning to kill me the next chance they get! It had only been a few weeks since I'd last stopped SPYDER from carrying out another evil plan. And they're already planning on ending my life?

So, I did what anyone in that situation would do. I carefully put the note in a plastic bag and headed for Erica's room.

Only, she wasn't there.

However, this isn't uncommon for Erica. She's either out on the shooting range or doing reconnaissance on enemy bases or even monitoring SPYDER to try and be one step ahead of them. I looked out the window towards the shooting range and she wasn't there. Then I suddenly saw a piece of the sky disappear for a fraction of a second. Like a square piece of it the size of a car just turned pitch black. I'm going crazy. I really need to find Erica.

I went everywhere in search of her, I even went to the secret rooms she showed me. But she was nowhere to be found. Since we had started dating, she allowed me to text her for semi-urgent matters. So I left her a text asking where she was but the message wasn't even delivered. I had no choice but to go to the principal's. It was a stupid decision but I didn't know how much time I've got left. I entered the code to his door. It wasn't hard to guess. He kept it as 12345678 for the past two years.

But he wasn't there either.

Now this is getting weird. The idiot was always in his office. He had nothing else to do than drink his coffee and play stupid games on his phone. He rarely left his office since there was a bathroom and a couch in there, which is all he needed, so he wouldn't even leave for a cup of water.

I was so lost in my thoughts I didn't even notice myself bumping into Mike and Zoe when I was leaving the principal's office.

"Ben!" They both said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh hey guys, have you seen Erica or the principal today? I couldn't find them in their usual places."

"No, actually, I've been confused about it too. I was called into the principal's office a few days ago but when I arrived he wasn't there." Mike replied.

Zoe suddenly spoke up, "Let's talk about this somewhere private."

IM SO EXCITED STARTING THIS NEW BOOK! I thought I wouldn't have time to write or I'd take like 6 months to update a chapter but there's a holiday coming so hopefully I'd be able to finish this one in time!