NOT DISAPPOINTED, SIRIUS BLACK

"The only thing that's gonna get thrown in his face is my fist"

Not Disappointed | Sirius Black

word count: 860

Sirius glanced at the girl across from him as she moved her fork and knife aimlessly around her plate as if she had forgotten that she was not alone

Sirius glanced at the girl across from him as she moved her fork and knife aimlessly around her plate as if she had forgotten that she was not alone. Her dark-colored hair fell in front of her face, which seemed to be her intention, and he couldn't help but notice how her eyes would dart around the table now and again in a nervous manner, giving everybody there anxious glances.

"Sirius!" His mother, Walburga, snapped at him when she realised that her son was not focused on the conversation happening between the four adults in the room. His parents had been trying to explain to Mr and Mrs y/l/n why they should work with Sirius' father at the Ministry. Since Sirius only had three years left at Hogwarts, it was apparently important for him to listen as well.

"Sorry, Mother, but is this really necessary? Why in Godric's name would I care? I don't want to work in the Ministry and I certainly do not want to work with father. Merlin's beard." Sirius scoffed, forgetting for a moment that he is was in somebody else's house. For some reason, he didn't want to seem obnoxious in front of his quiet tablemate.

His mother's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of her head. She opened her mouth, clearly ready to give Sirius a piece of her mind, but was cut off by Mr y/l/n.

"Don't worry about it Walburga, we're used to it. Y/n is just as bad, it's an endless cycle of sulking and complaining. Kids nowadays need to learn to be respectful. Everything that I've done for that girl, thrown back in my face," The bald man threw his hands up in the air, as Sirius' mother nodded in agreement.

Sirius stole another glance at who he now knew as y/n y/l/n. He had seen her around the corridors at Hogwarts, and was sure that they had had Herbology together last year. He noticed that she only gulped and continued to stare daggers into her china plate. He wondered why she wasn't sticking up for herself.

Realising that he wasn't going to get a reaction out of his ever-so-silent daughter, Mr y/l/n decided to excuse the "children" to the drawing-room, so they could wait until dinner was over.

Sirius followed y/n as she slipped out of her chair and moved, as if she was floating, to the great oak doors at the end of the room. He was extremely conscious of the four sets of eyes watching his back as he moved, not even having to see the disappointed expressions to know that they were there.

When he shut the doors behind him, it was as if he had walked into an alternative universe, and y/n y/l/n had switched with a twin that he had not known about before. She was sitting on one of the black, velvet couches, arms resting behind her head and her feet curled up beside her.

She groaned and rubbed her eyes with her fists.

"Have you ever met a bigger dickhead in your life? "Everything I've done for that girl. thrown back in my face"...for Godric's sake,"

She mimicked her father's words. Sirius couldn't believe that this was the same girl from the table. She didn't even seem to remember that he was there, and continued to speak.

"The only thing he's gonna get thrown in his face is my fist," She kicked herself off of the couch and made her way to the fireplace, resting one elbow on the mantle among a series of black and white photographs. Her dark eyes ran over Sirius as if she was trying to analyse him.

"What? Sudden outburst at your parents, and now you have nothing to say about my lovely father," She asked him, as he continued to sit on the armchair in silence.

"Me, not saying anything? You let him walk all over you in there. You know it's not true, so why not speak up for yourself? But, you're right, he's a complete arse. That's why our parents are friends, isn't it?" He shrugged as if he couldn't really care less.

Y/n nodded thoughtfully like she was considering what would have happened if she had said something back to her father.

"Yeah, and prove him right? That I'm angry and opinionated and a disappointment and everything else that he calls me? Oh my god, that's revolutionary Sirius, thank you so much," She rolled her eyes. To Sirius, it was clear that she had given up fighting with her parents, and had deemed it not important enough to worry over.

She was still staring into the orange flames that were threatening to burst through the enormous fire-guard. When she looked back at him, he was already staring at her, thinking about everything that she had said.

He smiled, the first one of the entire visit.

"You didn't disappoint me,".