Chapter 26

America POV:
I sat on a bench in the hospital wing waiting for Maxon. I didn't want to see Kriss, so I let Maxon come here alone. Although after just a few minutes of waiting in my room, pacing I decided I'd come down anyway. The guilty thought that is was because of me has been driving me crazy. Thoughts had been racing in my mind. What if this is too much? It feelings like something is always in the way of us. First it was Aspen, then Marlee's caning, Celeste, what I did on the report, the king, his marriage. It seems like we will never find our way. But I know love is hard and I won't give up. A maid came up to me offered me a cup of tea with lemon. My favorite. I smiled and mumbled a thanks. I've been debating whether Kriss did it for attention trying to guilt Maxon into going back with her, or if she really wanted to end her life. It's hard to tell. From what Maxon has told me, Kriss acted like two completely different people. Sweet and innocent yet hurt to Maxon, rude and disgusting to me. I sigh heavily, looking down at my hands. The bandages and cuts still fresh from the glass pitcher that fell this morning.
This morning. Just this morning Maxon was wrapping my hand in his room. Around noon I found Aspen and Lucy in the library. Lucy is pregnant. I remember. The thought hits me like a million trucks. I really am happy for them, but I still feel a slight ache. Not for Aspen though. I'm still quite mad about what he was saying to Lucy. It's an ache of jealousy. Maxon and I can't even call each other boyfriend and girlfriend. We are so far off from a baby. We are young though, we have time. Only about a few minutes later were Maxon and I talking with Clarkson, then Kriss found us in the hall. I talked with Celeste, Kriss and Maxon. Now I'm waiting for news about Kriss' suicide attempt. It's been a long day. It feels like in eternally actually. I feel a wave of tiredness as I let my thoughts run through my mind without a filter.
I'm not sure how much time goes by, until Maxon comes out. His expression is calm and his eyes are relaxed, yet a little on edge. He looks at me and his eyes soften.
"So how is she?" I ask. He takes a breath as he sits next to me.
"Well she's going to be okay. She downed an entire bottle of pills."
"Oh." Is all I can get out. "I'm glad she's okay."
"Me too."
We sit in silence for a moment until Maxon speaks again. "It's 12:36 and I still need to eat dinner, will you join me in my room?"
"I'd like that." We stand and walk down the hall together. We don't hold hands, or take each other's arms. I still remember Celeste saying all the rumors there are.
"Maxon, it had slipped my mind to tell you that Celeste told me there are already rumors about you and I."
"I knew there would be, since you're visiting the palace."
"Not just that. Some guards and passing maid saw our kiss. Just like Kriss did. Now it's spreading throughout the palace."
"As long as it doesn't leave the palace it will be fine. Until we announce it that is."
"Your right." I say. We walk in silence through the halls. My thoughts still racing in my mind. Each competing for my attention. We get to the third floor and walk to Maxon's room. The guards lining the walls try to look at us discretely. Maxon opens the door and we step inside. I sit on his couch and he calls the kitchen. After ordering a meal for himself and a small snake for me, he joins me.
"Are you alright America? You seem a little off."
"It's been a long day." I said, Maxon laughs tiredly.
"It has been. Talking with father and then the Kriss thing."
"Yeah, and I ran into Aspen and Lucy this morning."
"Really, when?"
"Around noon in the library."
"Did Lucy explain why she hasn't been around?" I looked down at my hands.
"Yeah, she did." I said quietly. "So why hasn't she?"
"She's pregnant." I said barely audible.
"Aspen and Lucy are going to be parents, that's nice. They'll be great."
"Yeah."
"You don't seem very happy."
"I am happy for them. Type deserve it."
"But..?" I sighed again.
"I don't know."
"Are you... jealous..?" Maxon asked hesitantly. I looked into his eyes and couldn't lie.
"Yes, but not for what you think." He raised an eyebrow, his expression remained calm.
"It's just, they are married and are expecting a child. We can't even call each other boyfriend and girlfriend, we are so far from a baby." The last part came out like a whisper. A ghost of a sentence. Maxon took my hands in his.
"That's true, but we are figuring things out. One day we will have a baby. Many."
I smiled. "I know. I just can't help it. And I know it's my fault."
"No it's not America. We talked about this."
Maxon always knows what to say. He's the reassuring voice in a crowd. It's not hard to understand why everyone wants him. An amazing person is what he is.
"You're right, thank you." I said giving him a peck on the cheek.
"For what?" Maxon asked dumbfounded.
"Just for being you." A brush of red coated his face. A knock came at the door and Maxon aloud them in. Knowing it was a maid with dinner. The same girl from this morning stepped inside with a tray full of food. Her brown hair now pulled into a tight bun. Mykalia, I remember is her name. She sets down the food on the table.
"Thank you," Both Maxon and I say. She nods in return. Mykalia make her way to the door, as she opens it I make eyes contact with her and she gives me a knowing grin. I blush and smile. She closes the door and I turn back to Maxon. We being to eat and talk about the good things that have happened. We even talked about our childhood and old times in the selection. Around 1 am I go to my room. Where my maids still wait, with the exception of Lucy. Then strip me and help me get into bed. I quickly dismiss them and think back on the day. I finally drift asleep after a long day.
|~|
"Fine. Kriss can make a speech if she wants." Clarkson said.
"So that's everything." Amberly said extremely happily.
"It is." Maxon and I coursed back. Happy to be done.
This Friday's report was completely planned. We've been discussing how everything will play out, it's much easier with the Kings help. I've stayed a few extra days to help with everything. Queen Amberly was so excited the other morning when Maxon and I told her the good news. So everything is going down this Friday.
It's Wednesday so I have 2 days to mentally prepare. Maxon and Clarkson are dealing with Kriss and communicating with her. I simply cant. I've avoided her for a week now and I plan on keeping it that way. In just one week everything has changed.
"America and I need to go get fitted for our gowns." Amberly said standing.
"Alright dear, take care." Clarkson said and Amberly blush. I still don't really trust the king. I stood following her. Maxon caught my hand and gave it a small peck. It was my turn to blush. With that Amberly and I left his office.
"A gown?" I asked.
"You must wear one on the report."
"Why?" I asked. I didn't really want to wear one. They are kind of uncomfortable.
"We are presenting you as the future princess, the woman the crown prince loves. You must look ready to fill that spot." I couldn't argue with that logic.
"You have a point."
"I usually do." Amberly said with a grin. I smiled and we walked down the hall. As future mother and daughter in law.

A/N ~ I hope you joyed today's chapter! Comment your favorite part!! Sorry this update was late, 1449 words!!!! Go check out my other story 'Princess America Schreave."
Question of the day: Which character would you have liked to see more of, and know more about? 
I would of liked to see more of Queen Amberly and May.
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋