The NEWT Mocks

~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* CHAPTER XX *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~

Harry was all but bouncing in place, today was testing day for the Mock NEWT Defense exam. As Professor Nubia had promised at the start of the year, she had broken down each spell they covered, gave the history and theories behind them in full detail, brought in numerous weapons and only a few of the creatures that they could one day happen upon intent on their deaths. They quickly learned that she was brutal with her training, she did not give a fuck about their sensibilities or their feelings, her job was to make sure they knew what to do in any given situation and to survive. And in the extra Defense lessons, she taught them how best to defend themselves against each other, muggers, rapists, kidnappers and murderers. Those classes were the stuff of nightmares, but so worth it!

Two weeks ago she announced that their exams, both the Mock and the actual NEWTs would be broken up into two parts. They had the written exam at the beginning of the week and after everyone had finished, she announced that they were to go over all the spells they covered, spells from other classes or spells from their personal repertoire and make a few battle plans around them for their live test was not the typical dueling against each other as they came to be, but facing actual creatures or even a witch or wizard who was could possibly kill them in an actual fight or war. This would prove their abilities as well as test their resolve in live combat. The Live test was broken into two parts one that was strictly spells and the second was armed combat with magic.

Harry was excited because he was starting to get a bit board playing chess with Dumbles, but now he could burn off extra energy and he did not have to use Legolas. Though sparring with his lover was wonderful, he still held back to not actually hurt him. Legolas could only smile at his little Omega, who was excited more for seeing what they would be facing rather than the actual ability to pull his punches half as much like when he sparred with him. While Harry would not show off all of his skills and abilities, it did give him some wiggle room.

“Oh no...” Draco's voice groaned and the couple turned to look at him confused. “Why on earth would they let that bitch back here!?”

They looked to where he was looking and groaned. Umbridge in her pink cardigan and skirt suit walked in and sat with the testers, her large eyes cold and flinty even as she smiled sweetly. An ICW representative was present too and the board of governors. This was taking place out on the Quidditch Pitch to give room for a lot of spell fire and obstacles to be made if needed.

“She shouldn't be here...” Hermione growled, balling up her fist. “Bet she heard about Professor Nubia's request and is here to 'document' and 'valuate' the quality of our education and to see if it's deemed 'necessary vs. unnecessary.' Bet she heard about the Creatures being used and wanted front row seats... the bloody bint!”

The others gaped at the normally straight laced Hermione's uncharacteristic anger and cursing. Harry just pats her shoulder and she calms down a little. All the NEWT level students were dressed in uniforms that Nubia had gotten made and delivered to the school by her people last week. The material was lightweight, but was made from a combination of Dragon and Mountain Troll hide, making them stronger than any armor, highly magical resistant and perfect for the test, never mind actual battle. They were all black with accents in their House colors and cut to the personal styles of each student. There was holsters for their wands and their weapon of choice. Even if there was a number of wands and weapons scattered over the 'battlefield.'

Because of the change, Nubia had to have representatives from the Ministry and ICW present as well as the Board of Governors, who would decide if this method of teaching and testing would remain past the Winter Hols and the years to come or not. Professors Flitwick and Snape were also present as Masters in Defense and Dueling. Between the three professors should things get out of hand, they can get their students out of danger quickly. Seeing the tiny professor dressed in his battle robes was impressive, for the shortest present, his presence stood taller than all others. Professor Snape was even more intimidating than he normally was, he did not wear a robe but rather a sleeved cloak over a tight black outfit that looked similar to his usual potions uniform.