Getting settled at Hogwarts; Halloween

~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* CHAPTER XVII *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~ *~* ~

The next morning everyone was in attendance, trying to be subtle or covert in their vigil of the Great Hall doors, waiting to catch sight of the unusual couple that was Harry Potter and Legolas Greenwood. They seemed to be the last ones to arrive, either planned or not, they weren't sure, but nearly halfway through the morning meal they entered. Legolas was dressed in his uniform, the proud Lion on his breast declaring that indeed he was in the House of the Brave and Noble. Harry was still in the rich green uniform of Slytherin, the striking snake sitting coiled and protective over his breast as well.

But it was the fact that they were together, smiling and chatting as if they were not in rival Houses, the fact that their arms were linked together, clearly showing that Legolas was escorting Harry. They didn't notice the now open stares, the hushed whispers as they made their way over to Ravenclaw's table and sat down across from Hermione and Luna, Susan and Neville getting up from their tables to join them as Draco, who had been hiding behind the couple took a seat at the Eagles' table as well.

...

...

Wait, what!?

Now there was very open stares and the whispers were no longer whispers, but full blown conversations. The Firsties either didn't notice or care because they quickly gathered their things and began to shuffle between Houses until there was at least one student from each House at one of the House tables, sitting with friends they made on the train or with siblings or cousins. The Head table looked like they were either about to have heart failure, burst into coos or burst into laughter, while the others just stared in shock.

This seemed to trigger something in the student body as a few older years got up from their respective tables and moved to join friends at their tables or to sit with a family member. By now the tables could no longer be called House Tables, but just tables. There seemed to be a near even amount of each House at each table. Severus had to use every ounce of his considerable Occlumency skills and shielding to keep the urge to coo and laugh his ass off in check while he noticed Minerva taking a very, very long sip of her morning tea to keep the urge of cooing and going to nuzzle the first years in check as well.

Filius and Pomona had no issues gushing, the pair just fussing away like proud parents, discussing the best way to hand out the schedules and to make sure that not only their respective House was feeling well this morning but to check in on all their students from the other Houses. Severus told them to start from Gryffindor Table and end with Slytherin table or vice versa, since that was his own plan. Minerva agreed and said that she and Severus would start with his table and end with hers while Pomona and Filius should start with her table and end with Severus' this way they can work at their own paces and check their students over.

This was one of the rare days that Trelawney came down from her tower and the woman looked like she took a very high level Sobering potion, if how shocked she looked was any indication. Poppy simply smiled, glad to see the students mingling and chattering without a care, sure there was some tension here and there, but it was too small to worry about for now. However, Dumbledore was very upset, he didn't want the student's mixing, he didn't want anyone making friends outside of their own Houses and for those he had special interest in, making friends not of his choosing. He wanted the animosity especially toward Slytherin to keep burning bright.

"I will fix this..." he stated, about to stand, but Minerva hissed at him and he sat back, eyes wide.

"You will do no such thing! They haven't done anything! They are merely sitting with friends and family and enjoying breakfast, sure there is some tension in the air, but it's very minimal and is fading. Sit there and eat or I will tell the House Elves to give you nothing but sugar free treats for the next three months!" she threatened.