The Middle

Sometimes Mari would come early to set, as she was an early riser.

Or so she told herself.

With no reason to really be there, she would usually take the time to read over some of her lines, as she usually procrastinated on learning them. But hey, she was a miracle worker. As she stared at her script, she could hear Kanan's raspy voice speaking with the others on set. It was the scene in which her character would be at-cross with Kanan's, yet the blue-haired girl was out chatting with everyone else, having the time of her life, rather than taking her seat right next to her and reviewing the scene as they usually did. She couldn't blame her though. They filmed the movie out of order, due to scheduling issues, but after what had happened between them earlier in filming, Mari was deeply wishing she could film that ending scene. Then again, she probably still couldn't pull the trigger.

As the director called for the scene to be set, Kanan finally went over to her seat to touch up on makeup and go over lines.

"How was your weekend?"

Mari read her script again over and over as she tried to ignore any kind of conversation Kanan was attempting to start. She knew the signs and usually Mari was one to fall for it, just to talk to her again, but today just wasn't her day. Sure she was here early but everything was going wrong already. She had walked in while they were filming, got yelled at, spilled her coffee, and even got hit on by the random mic guy. Nothing was going right today.

"It was fine."

Mari deadly replied as she just stared at her script, not even reading the words. She couldn't focus with Kanan so near.

"Oh that's good. My weekend was boring. You know we should actually-"

Mari could already tell where the conversation was going. Kanan was going to invite her to hangout, things would happen, and then they would go back to not speaking.

"Kanan, I know what you're going to suggest and I'm going to stop you there. If you want a one night stand, just hook up with one of the lighting girls. I'm not in the mood."

Mari got up to leave but before she could go, Kanan grabbed her hand.

"Wait! That wasn't-"

"Mari and Kanan, you're needed on set."

Mari looked up as the intern called them. Without a glance back, the young blonde took her hand back and began her way to set. With her hand still out, Kanan let out a deep sigh. She closed her hand and got up from her chair.

As she followed the blonde girl, she couldn't help but feel bad. She always loved being near Mari, that was until things got complicated and they turned into whatever they were now.

Mari was already on set as she watched the tall blue-haired girl approach her. Having to switch personalities and pretend everything was okay was kind of Mari's specialty. Perking up, Mari pulled on a smug face as Kanan came closer. And as if they were already adjusted to these things, Kanan pretended like nothing was wrong, even sticking her tongue out playfully as well, as they acted like their normal selves in front of the cameras.

"Ready on set!"

----------------------------

Of course, it would be Mari to mess up the scene for the fifth time today. It was the simplest lines too, yet she just couldn't get them out of her mouth. They hadn't even made it to the argument but Mari could feel herself ready to explode. The pure frustration and anger of everything was bottling up and even though she would be acting, yelling at someone would help in the slightest.