Chapter 1: The Break Up

DJ Tanner burst in the door, slamming it behind her, and ignoring her sisters, Stephanie and Michelle, and running upstairs to her room in tears.

"Hey!" Danny said in his usually annoying, chipper voice as he paraded in from the kitchen. "Who wants to go shopping?"

"I do!" Stephanie shouted, jumping up from the couch where she and Michelle had been watching TV. Michelle just rolled her eyes. She'd learned that it was always the one with the birthday, who got this offer a few days before the party.

"Where's your sister?" Danny asked. "I thought I heard her come in."

Michelle and Stephanie looked at each other and sighed. Then, both pointed up the stairs to where DJ had disappeared.

"How can you fall for that every year?" Michelle asked as Stephanie sat down with her again. Stephanie just shrugged, and went back to watching TV.

Danny headed up the stairs and knocked on DJ's room.

"Go away!" DJ cried, her voice muffled in the pillow she hugged tightly to her as tears rolled down her face. She knew it was her father; Uncle Jesse's bike was gone, as were the sound of her cousin's voices, and the red Subaru they owned, so she knew Aunt Becky was also gone, and Joey had a comedy gig that day. She sighed, wishing he were there; she really didn't want to talk to her father.

"Deej," she heard her father's voice call pleadingly through the door. "Are you alright?"

"Just go away!" DJ called again. "Leave me alone!"

A few hours later, there was a soft knock on DJ's door again, but she'd cried herself to sleep, and didn't hear it.

"Hey," a voice soft called as Joey opened the door, and was greeted by darkness. "Are you ok, DJ?"

"Mmph," DJ grunted as she sat up and blinked as she turned on her bedside lamp. "Yeah," she said, looking rather dejected. "I guess so."

He smiled at her slightly, concern still etched in his features as he stood in the doorway. "Can I come in?" Joey asked, and only entered when she nodded. He walked to her bed slowly, and sat on the edge of her bed, with one leg tucked beneath him. He didn't even have a chance to ask or say anything before she'd launched herself into his arms as she cried. He closed his eyes as he held her, rubbing his hands soothingly over her back. What I wouldn't give to be the one to take away her pain, he thought sadly.

Mmm, DJ thought as she felt Joey's hands around her, soothing her pain. This feels so good, so right. I wish this could last for always. She gave a mental sigh. But, he'll never see me as more than his niece. At these thoughts, something snapped, and DJ felt as though a bolt of electricity had hit her. "Did you feel that?" DJ asked softly, her head resting against Joey's chest.

"Feel what?" Joey asked, feigning ignorance. Oh, he'd felt it all right. Something had clicked inside him, and now his mind and emotions were at war. There is no way this can be happening, he thought. I'm too old for her, Jesus; I'm like her father. But, why then, does it feel so right?

"Nothing," DJ said, feeling a little more heartbroken. "Never mind." She stayed where she was though, ignoring the fresh feelings for this man who obviously didn't feel the same, ignoring the hurt she felt at his unspoken rejection as she felt his hands continue their path along her back.

"DJ," Joey said softly. "Want to tell me what happened today? You're dad and your sisters said you flew in here like a tornado, and haven't been out since you got home. Danny said you wouldn't even let him in to talk to you." DJ just swallowed, listening to the sound of Joey's voice as it reverberated through his chest. Joey looked down at her silence. "Come on, Deej," he coaxed. "You could always confide in me before."

Fresh tears streamed down DJ's face as she remembered Scott's words. I'm sorry DJ; I've found someone else. It just wasn't working between us; it hasn't been for a long time. This was news to her; everything had seemed so perfect, they'd even talked about getting married. "It's Scott," she sobbed. "H-he broke up with me. He said he found someone else!"

DJ cried as she felt Joey's arms tighten around her, and slid her arms up around his neck. "I'm sorry, Deej," he whispered in her ear. He closed his eyes tightly as tears threatened to fall as his sadness that someone could willingly cause her pain coursed through him. "But, you know, anyone who would choose someone else over you is out of their mind."

DJ hiccuped, and both she and Joey chuckled as she dried her eyes. "Thanks," she said as she pulled away, smiling faintly. "You always could make me feel better."

"That's what I'm here for," Joey said with a smile as he caressed her cheek, drying her tear-streaked face. She leaned forward and hugged him, wrapping her arms around his neck, and kissed him on the cheek. Joey gave a mental sigh. I wish she saw me as more than an uncle, or more than her father's friend. He cocked his head, and smiled at her. "You coming down to dinner?" Joey asked curiously, and she nodded, returning his smile. "Good," he said. "I'd hate to have to string you up and force feed you." He winked at her and she laughed.

"Be down in a minute," she assured him. "I'm just going to clean up." He nodded, and taking his cue, left her alone.