Chapter 5: 1934 Prospect Pl Welcome to Gibbler's

If anyone had made a bet that Kimmy Gibbler would change her ways when she turned into a mature adult, they would have lost – on both accounts. Looking around the filthy apartment, DJ noted with some distaste, that nothing had changed in Kimmy's life since the girl lived next door. DJ noted Kimmy must have faith that the unpleasant appearance of the apartment would detour burglars, for the door had been unlocked, and there was no sign of its tenant.

Carrying her suitcase, and stepping gingerly through the mess that was ankle deep, DJ began to look for the room that was to be hers. She wasn't surprised to find that the filth had no limits, and that her living space was contaminated as well. She sighed as she cleared off a chair, and laid her suitcase on it. She then cleared off the bed unceremoniously, and looked at the bed in disgust. Kimmy expected her to sleep here? She kicked the filth to one side, determined to deal with it later, and then stripped the bed down to the mattress. Exhausted both physically and emotionally, she lay down and was soon sound asleep.

DJ had been there a week, and the place was finally looking livable. The morning after she arrived, her birthday, she had tackled the mess in her room. It had taken her most of the day, and by the end, still didn't look lived in, but at least it was clean. She had not seen Kimmy since she arrived, and only knew the girl lived there by the ever-growing pile of trash about the apartment.

DJ woke up the day after arriving, and was surprised to find a note pinned to her door.

Deej,

Glad you're here, and told your dad what for – 'bout time. Sorry I can't be here all the time, but it was either school or work, and you know my brain can't stand the strain. Hopefully we'll see each other some time. Happy birthday.

Kimmy

DJ smiled as she remembered the letter. She may not have seen her best friend yet, but it was nice to know that she'd remembered her birthday.

It had been a week, and DJ had heard Joey and Uncle Jesse's radio show every morning on the radio she swiped from Kimmy's room. She knew it wouldn't be missed because it had no alarm clock, and she'd never heard it. She knew Uncle Jesse was trying, but it just wasn't the same as it had been before her dad had found them together that morning a week ago. God, I miss him, she thought sadly.

The phone rang a few minutes later, and DJ answered it. "DJ?" A feminine voice asked on the other end.

"Yes?" DJ asked, uncertain who was speaking at first, and then it dawned on her that the soft-spoken woman was her aunt, obviously trying to hide who she was speaking with from anyone who might be listening – like her father.

"DJ, have you been listening to the radio show?" Becky asked in a whisper.

"Yeah," DJ replied. "They're really getting bad."

"Yeah," Becky agreed. "DJ, I know Jesse's told Joey where you are, and given him your number. I think he only told him you'd gone to visit, but I'm not sure."

"Really?" DJ asked in surprise. "He hasn't called."

"I know," Becky said sadly. "I know he's worried about you and misses seeing you. He may not say it, but I can see it whenever he's here to do the show." There was a pause, and DJ knew her dad was near by, could feel it in the tension on the line. "Deej," Becky said after a moment. "I know Joey's too pigheaded to call you; like Jesse says, he has a bad thing about listening to you're dad, but," she trailed off a moment, her voice filled with unease. "I - I think you should call him. You do still have the information about where he's staying, right?"

"Yeah," DJ confirmed uneasily. Do I really want to call him when he doesn't want to talk to me?

"What is it, Deej?" Becky asked, noting the girl's uneasiness.

"I-it's just," DJ paused, and sighed heavily. "I don't know if I should."

"What?" Becky asked. "Why?"

"Because I don't want to call and have him not want to talk to me," DJ said.

"Well, I understand," said Becky solemnly. "Will you at least think about it?"

DJ sighed heavily. "Yeah, I guess. I'm not going to make any promises though."

"Okay," Becky said. "I'd better go."

"Alright," DJ said. "Bye."

"Bye," came the reply, and DJ hung up the phone, sighing heavily once more.

For the next two days, she listened to the radio show, and noticed there was no change. Is it really because of me? DJ wondered. She had thought about calling him, but didn't know if she could stand the rejection if he didn't want to talk to her. But after two days, she sighed and picked up the phone as she unfolded the paper that had the number of where Joey was staying. She dialed with a shaky hand.

"Hello?" said an older female voice.

"H-hello?" DJ asked nervously. "M-Mrs. Gladstone?"

"Yes?" the woman asked.

"I-it's DJ Tanner," DJ said softly.

"Oh," Mrs. Gladstone said. "Hello, dear, how are you?"

DJ smiled in spite of herself. "I'm fine. I was wondering," she said, and paused uncertainly.

"Yes, dear?" Mrs. Gladstone asked curiously.

"I-is Joey there?" DJ asked nervously, dreading the answer.

"No, I'm sorry dear," came the woman's response. "He hasn't returned from doing the show yet. I'll tell him you called if you like."

"Okay," DJ said, trying not to sound disappointed. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, dear," Mrs. Gladstone replied. "Good-bye."

"Bye," DJ said, and hung up the phone.