Chapter 2: The Truth Lies in a Kiss

DJ and Joey watched each other off and on throughout dinner, turning away when the other looked back. Jesse, Rebecca, and the twins still hadn't returned, and Danny was talking with Stephanie and Michelle about their day. After she was through, DJ excused herself, and went up to her room.

Joey couldn't keep his mind off her, concerned about how she was really feeling about breaking up with Scott, and wondering what that spark he had felt earlier meant. Is that what she was talking about? Joey wondered as he too, excused himself to go to his room. Did she feel that spark too? What could it mean?

He went in and lay down on his bed, trying to drown out these thoughts and unknown feelings with videos of Popeye the Sailor, and when hours of that didn't work, switched to Rocky and Bullwinkle. Then, around 10:30, there was a soft knock on his door.

DJ had spent the time in her room, thinking back on all her failed relationships, and realized something. It hadn't been her dad, or Uncle Jesse who had consoled her, and made her feel better, but Joey. Joey had always been there for her when she needed him. When she was seven, she realized that although her father had referred to Joey as 'uncle' in the presence of her and her sisters, Joey really had no blood ties to them. He was just one of her Dad's friends. What then, makes it so wrong for me to like him? DJ wondered, and it was now, after years of teen angst and childhood romance, that she realized, nothing.

She smiled as she thought back to her childhood. Joey had always held a special place in her heart. He was kind, and funny; he always made her laugh, and made her feel better when something was bothering her, and he cared more about others than himself. She had often thought that she wanted to find someone like him, to spend the rest of her life . Why just like him, a voice inside her head whispered. Why not him? DJ smiled at the thought, and after her dad came to tell her goodnight, made up her mind, and crept down the hall, knocking softly on Joey's door.

"Come in," Joey called quickly muting the cartoon, thinking it was Danny or Jesse and Rebecca coming to say good night after they got home. To say he was surprised to see DJ standing there in nothing but an oversized t-shirt would be putting it mildly. The fact is he nearly fell off the bed in an attempt to get to his feet.

"I'm sorry," DJ said softly as she tried not to laugh. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"Oh," Joey said as he cleared his throat, and ran his fingers through his hair nervously. "You didn't. Well, you did," he said, feeling like a bumbling idiot. "I thought you were Danny or Jesse and Rebecca, but it's ok." What is she doing here? Joey's mind screamed. And dressed like that! He swallowed dryly. "What can I do for you?" Joey asked as he sat down and beckoned her inside.

She moved slowly, and shut the door quietly behind her. "I-I couldn't sleep," DJ lied. Yeah right, her mind said condescendingly. You didn't even try. DJ swallowed nervously as she moved over to sit next to Joey. God, he smells good, she thought as she inhaled his scent, Irish Spring soap with Nautica cologne, and Tide laundry soap. "I was wondering," she said softly and looked away a moment. "Could I stay with you?" DJ asked, turning to look at him with a pleading gaze.

Joey sighed heavily, and nodded against his better judgment. He lay back down, rolling to his side, and waved her over. "Alright," he said. "Come on."

"Thanks," DJ said with a smile as she snuggled in close to him.

"You're welcome," Joey replied as he turned the sound of the cartoons on once more. God, he thought. How do I get myself into these situations? How am I going to keep my hands off her? He put his arm around her, and they watched Rocky and Bullwinkle. He looked down at her after about fifteen minutes, her breathing soft and rhythmic, and was surprised to see her watching him. "Deej?" he asked softly, his voice edged with unease. But, she didn't say anything. Instead, she leaned up and kissed him tenderly on the lips. "DJ!" Joey cried in surprise, and pushed her back. "What are you doing?"

"Kissing you," DJ answered, near to tears at his apparent rejection.

Seeing her reaction, his face fell, and he spoke in a softer tone. "I know that," he said. "What I meant was, why were you doing it? You've just been hurt, you're mind is in turmoil, and you've no idea what you're doing." DJ lowered her gaze, and swallowed hard as tears began rolling down her cheeks as he continued, "And it's not just that DJ." Joey sighed and looked away a moment. "It's that I'm so much older than you are. I know I'm not as old as I could be, but I'm old enough to be your dad," he said softly, and DJ thought she heard a hint of pain in his voice. "Why me?" Joey asked when he looked at her again.

"You're wrong, Joey," DJ said softly as she tried to hide her tears. "I've thought of nothing but this today since you came to talk to me earlier. I know what I want, and I want you."

"Deej," Joey said, in an unbelieving voice.

"No, Joey," DJ said as she shook her head. "I really have thought about it, and for as long as I can remember, I've looked for someone like you." He was stunned. Someone like me? Joey's mind screamed and he swallowed hard, but remained silent. "It was then I realized something else, Joey," she said softly, and Joey looked at her curiously. "Why just look for someone like you, when you're right in front of me, and have been my whole live, and I might never find any one like you in a million years. You're funny, your kind, and you always think about other people before thinking of yourself."

"DJ," Joey whispered, resisting the urge to caress her face. "You're very sweet, and like I said earlier, anyone who would choose someone else over you, would be out of their mind. But, DJ, you've got your whole life ahead of you, who's to say that you won't find what you're looking for? Give yourself time to recover, let your heart heal. You and Scott were together for over two years; you were talking about marriage. I don't want to hurt you, or see you hurt either. But, I want to know, why would you settle for me? I've nothing to offer you."

"Joey," DJ said as she looked up at him with an expression that made his heart wrench. "You've plenty to offer, and I wouldn't be settling." She reached up and caressed his face, and smiled when she felt him tremble beneath her touch. "You are what I want." She leaned forward then, and kissed him soundly on the lips. He was so stunned by her words, that it was a moment before he reacted, but when he did, it wasn't to push her away again. He moaned softly, drew her closer and tentatively slipped his tongue in the recesses of her mouth when she parted her lips beneath his. She mewled softly in response, and wrapped her arms around him, and he knew she spoke the truth.