Chapter 6: A Dirty Thing Called Guilt

Everyone was mad at him. Over the past week, Danny had felt like he was in exile. He had thought that he had been right when he found DJ and Joey together, that he'd caught them in the midst of a sexual act. He sighed heavily. Jesse was right; if he sat back and thought about it, he knew, Joey wouldn't do that, or anything remotely like it.

Still, he had his pride, and his anger at everything was still there and refused to let him admit it, not yet any way. He had to admit that mostly, he was angry with himself. Yet he was loathe to let anyone know just yet. He'd had a hard time explaining to the girls why Joey had left, without telling them the truth any way. It was Stephanie, who first discovered that DJ had left, as far as he knew anyway.

She had said that she had gone there to ask DJ about borrowing some sweater or something, and found her and all her clothes gone. Across the room, she had found a picture frame on the floor, and went to pick it up. She turned it over to see glass shattered over a picture of their dad. It had been then that the questions really began.

Danny had left after the yelling match, and had gone out to try and clear his head. He had been glad that he'd learned to roller blade, and he found that though he was still angry at everything that had happened, the breeze rustling his hair and blowing against his face had a calming effect. Jesse's right, he thought as he bladed down by the bay. No matter how much I hate to admit it, DJ's an adult, and capable of making her own decision. He scowled at this thought. It's just that he's so much older that she is.

He had been out blading every day since, always down to the bay. God, he thought as he stopped and looked out across the bay. I miss her. He shook his head and headed back home. He never thought that DJ would really leave, but she had.

Of course, he found this out much later, and then, the exile began. He just couldn't shake the feeling that whenever he walked in a room, the temperature dropped 30 degrees at least, and everyone either left, glared at him, or ignored him. Then, he also got the odd feeling whenever he caught someone on the phone, and they fell silent for a moment, that they were talking with either DJ or Joey.

He was out again, blading down by the bay. He had done it to get away from the frigid atmosphere at home. Where is she? Danny asked himself silently, and sighed heavily. He shook his head, and looked out across the bay when he stopped for a break. Then, as he watched the light playing on the water, it hit him, Kimmy's. He didn't know where the girl lived now, but her parents still lived next door. With that thought in mind, he nodded; his mind made up, and headed back towards home.

"Jesse!" Danny yelled as he bladed into the kitchen, coming in through the back door, something he would never do, and didn't allow. He skated over to the kitchen counter and sat down, taking off his skates. "Jesse!" he called again and the man called back as he came down the stairs into the kitchen.

"Yeah?" Jesse asked as he came in, looking rather curious.

"Jesse," Danny said with a smile. "Please, tell me you know where they are."

"Where who is?" Jesse asked curiously, trying to get a feel for Danny's mood.

Danny sighed and cocked his head, looking at Jesse expectantly. Jesse just arched a brow, making it clear that he wanted Danny to answer. Danny shook his head and sighed once more. "DJ and Joey?"

"Well, that all depends," Jesse said as he leaned back against the counter, supporting his weight on his elbows.

"Depends on what exactly?" Danny asked as he eyed Jesse. "Come on, Jess, I know by your response that you know."

"Well," Jess said and cleared his throat. "I would say it depends on how and why you want to talk to them."

Danny exhaled heavily, shaking his head. "Okay, fine," he said with a grin. "Don't tell me, apparently I'm the only one who misses them." Then, before Jesse could reply, Danny bounded up stairs to shower, leaving the dark haired man in shock.