NINE

Word Count: 1879

A servant girl leads me to my room for the night.

It's beautiful, even if it's small. The architecture of this manor is magnificent, and this room does not undermine that. It's been dressed and furnished with a mix of colours; navy blue and grey, which is unlikely to be the creative choice of the King himself. Other than a bed, a couple bedside tables, and an armoire, the room has little to it.

This time last night, I was in a cave with Marek, wondering what my future would hold. Now I'm being invited to dinner with a King. But I'm not excited, as I kick off my shoes, digging my toes into the mink rug beneath me. I'm dreading what this could mean for Marek and I.

Feeling the stuffiness of the room, I pop open the glass doors that lead out onto a balcony. Even if I survived the jump below, I wouldn't outrun the infestation of his guards that linger below.

Stepping outside, I admire the familiar view. In the distance, is a never ending forest, the shadowy green of the treetops bleeding into a mix of sultry dark colours as night approaches. Jade Province, even if I travel, will forever remain my favourite place. I don't think the beaches of the Golden Province, or the cities of Scarlet could ever be as satisfying as here. Even if my love for this Province is bred from lost halcyon memories from long ago.

Steps sound beside me, making me flinch. Looking to my right, I see another balcony, only a few feet away from me. Marek steps out, dressed in a close cut button-up with dark pants to match. My mouth shamefully dries.

"You went along with everything I said, despite what it would mean for you if we left together. Why?" he questions, his voice low and deep, heating my blood. He leans his forearms against the balcony railing, sleeves rolled up to his elbows, watching me.

I loosen a breath, the shudder to it betraying the coolness I'm trying to exude. "You seemed so confident in what you were saying."

"You may have saved us in doing so," he admits, diverting his gaze toward the forest. The green palette of colours reflect off the forest and into his eyes, which glaze over slightly. Freedom; something I'm craving, after this.

"Why the dramatics then? Why lie?" I question, recalling the backstory he created with ease, suggesting this isn't the first treacherous situation he has attempted to get out of.

"A hunch, maybe. I don't like him."

I survey his expression. He's deep in thought, likely mulling over every word Taius shared. I don't trust the King, but I am curious about his intentions with inviting us to dinner like he did. I see it now, the drama and pretentiousness of the King, which when combined with boredom, is a dangerous mix.

"I mean, what's to like? A little self preservation never hurt no one," I remark. It's evident Taius and his undeniable power and handsome appearance caught us both off guard. His lethality is defined in his immaculate look, when I was expecting a much older, wiser and hopefully fairer man.

Marek is smiling, looking toward the horizon. "I'm glad you are the way you are."

"You hardly know me."

"I know you're not just some simple, Tani loving fool. You actually have a working mind in that head of yours," he comments, not intending to compliment me, just to be honest. I know why he's saying that; because I trusted him above Tai. Instead of admitting his guilt on his behalf, I kept my mouth shut.

I'm still trying to figure out why I did that. It's something to do with the same feeling Marek got from him. A hunch, that there is more to Taius than his cool façade, a malignant undertone bleeding through, rifling my senses.