FIFTY FOUR

Word Count: 2144

Tai pulls the curtain back, glancing through before closing it again.

Beyond, people chatter, seated as they await the beginning of the ceremony. The nerves in my stomach accompany the sound of their unbothered voices, knowing that I'm going to have to step out there soon and exchange vows with Tai, and then kiss him in front of all those people.

"Don't be nervous," he murmurs, turning back to look at me. Mercifully, Tai has ordered the seamstresses to keep my dress as minimal as possible. The fabric and beading is still decadent and soft, the veil I've pulled behind me is beautifully sheer, hanging off a small crown glittering with silver jewels. This wedding isn't about the show, but about the substance, about what a union will mean for his kingdom.

Tai has easily slid back into his King facade, opting for both his rings and a crown, which sits magnificently atop his perfectly shaped curls. His jacket is black, the shirt white, looking simple yet regal. The perfect groom, to be the perfect husband. As my eyes glide over him, I think of all the girls who silently dream to be lucky enough to marry him, or to even be in his presence for a moment...And here I am, the one he has chosen.

Surprisingly, the idea of him having been able to chose anyone for this position haunts me, as I am nothing but a space filler. I just happened into this due to our very bizarre circumstance.

"Who are all these people?" I ask, glancing through a crack in the curtain, seeing magnificently dressed people sitting a top white benches decorated in bunches of white flowers, and lavender ribbons.

"People who need to see this," Tai replies. "They are all wealthy and have so much time on their hands they will not struggle to gossip and spread the news about this wedding."

That's the whole point, yet it bothers me. Jessa is my only friend here.

"We have to appear like me love each other, don't we," I mutter, trying not to think about being on the alter with him, hands linked, sharing words that are meant to have a deeper meaning than the will. I'll just have to concentrate on the fact that I respect Tai, that I want this wedding because I care about him.

Tai looks solemn, realising the enormity of what he is asking to do. "It's not too late to change your mind Akara. Don't feel like you have to do this."

"We are helping each other. This isn't forever. Everything will be fine," I assure him, although my breath quivers with nerves. I reach forward to grab his hands, letting the warmth quell my fluttering heartbeat. I have to remember that Tai is my friend, when I'm out there, and that I can trust him.

"You look beautiful, by the way," he murmurs, the intensity of his gaze unrelenting, meaning every word. "I'm so lucky to be marrying you, regardless of why."

My smile is genuine as I motion over him. "You don't look so bad yourself, King."

Instead of replying his attention shifts to outside of the curtain, nodding at someone through the gap. It's time, I realise, for the ceremony to commence. It's a terrifying reality, but one I can't escape from anymore.

"I suppose I will see you out there," Tai murmurs, smiling at me one last time, before he slips through the curtain, the thick material rippling tauntingly.

I wait in position until I'm summoned by the sound of sweet piano music, a women pulling the curtain back for me to step through, revealing the grand room full of people, the stained glass windows casting tinted sunlight across the floor, across the faces of strangers who watch me walk, examining me with careful precision, looking for anything out of place.