FIFTY TWO

Word Count: 1816

"I can't believe you convinced me into this."

The golden glow of the lamp light above guides Tai and I down the street, the moonlight bathing the cobblestones of the street with a pale sheen. The darkness of the night is a stark contrast to this morning, when Tai approached me and asked me if I would come to dinner with him. I didn't expect us to go so far out from the estate.

"I promise it will be worth it Akara," Tai murmurs. I glance at him, his hands shoved into his jacket pockets, his emerald eyes watching me with gentle intention. He's dressed nicely, simply. There is no evidence in his attire that he is a King, although it's so obvious in his face. He has a regal nature about him, the tilt of his lips, the sweep of his cheekbones...You could see one picture of him and never forget what he looks like.

I adjust the belt that's strapped around my waist, suddenly wishing I hadn't decided on this dress. "This city is beyond your territory line, isn't it?"

"Yes," Tai notes. "Planning on escaping, are you?"

"I was just curious. I suppose it's a good thing no one here should know who you are," I remind him. He nods toward a small restaurant tucked into the corner of the street, pulling the thick wooden door open for me to step through. Inside, there are few people, all of whom pay us no mind as we take our seat in the nearby booth, sitting opposite each other.

Despite myself, I can't help but smile. This is a strangely intimate atmosphere for Tai and I to be in, since that moment in his room, when I nearly found myself entranced by him and the sudden uprising of feelings within me that I've yet to address.

While I still desire Marek in the way I do, I refuse to look twice at Tai.

"Yes, a wonderful thing," he breathes, matching my smile, the warmth of it mixing with the comfy shadows of the low-lit restaurant.

I look around the room, ensuring that no eyes are on us, which they aren't. Some linger longer than a moment, but all are innocent, simply admiring Tai for the beautiful man he is, not because he is a King. He must come here often, to escape the rumours and title that would be associated with him if he were to explore the Jade Province.

"In truth, I brought you here for a very specific reason," he exclaims softly, bringing my attention back to him. He's sipping his water uneasily, his gaze dark. "I want to talk about actually marrying you."

My breath hitches. "Like a wedding?"

"People are starting to question my power more than ever now, and I'm afraid they are spotting weakness," he tells me, waiting for an explosive reaction, for me to start cursing him out in the middle of this public restaurant. But it's never been about that; we've always come to a civil agreement. "I think it's time."

I'm not angry, although I'm mildly surprised. I never thought it would get to this point, where we would actually have a wedding, but now it's here, and I can't pretend like it doesn't exist anymore. More than ever Tai needs my help, but part of me flinches back, thinking of Marek, what my future could be.

"When?" I ask warily.

"The next week or two." He looks apprehensive. I know that if I told him no, that I didn't want to marry him, he would allow me to leave immediately, and the deal would be off. But I need him, and what he can do for my family.

"And then I'm just stuck here? Forever?" I question. Stuck forever, with Tai...It's a thought I can hardly comprehend, I mean, what would marriage to him entail? Marek won't wait for me forever, and if I marry Tai, he may no longer desire to pursue me.