Chapter 14

The spring air was lovely and warm. The whole world was coming alive as it did this time of year. Flower buds were blossoming into brightly colored flowers. The animals were starting to come out of their hiding spots after a long winter, as were the humans.

Rose sat on a blanket, her back against a tree and watched the commotion in the park with interest. A few moms were having a conversation about some new wonder food at the playground, their eyes wandering to their playing children, ever so often. The children on the other hand were laughing and screaming in delight as they played on the jungle gym and the swings. On the other side of the park a few dogs were chasing a ball being thrown around, their tongues hanging out their mouths as they ran, their barks filling the air. Just behind her at the pond, she could hear the ducks swimming around. Then she noticed a group of rapid heartbeats making their way towards her. She turned her head to the left and saw a group of older women speed walking down the park path, all adorning brightly colored tracksuits. A few feet away, some guys were playing action Frisbee.

She breathed in the fresh air and happily opened her sketchbook. It was a beautiful day. It would have been a perfect day if it had not been for the crutches she had to use to hobble all the way from the bus stop to her current position. She rolled her eyes at the stupidity of the whole thing. She turned the page of the sketchbook, took out her pencils and started drawing. She loved the sound of the pencil scratching on the paper and for the next thirty minutes all her focus was on the sketch before her. Every line, every shape and every shade was done with the utmost care.

Suddenly she heard a spinning sound heading right towards her head. Without looking up she held out her hand and caught the object. She finished the line she was busy with and then looked at her hand, noticing she was holding a Frisbee. She caught the familiar scent of forest hanging in the air and looked in the direction of the beating heart heading her way.

"Nice catch." Max noted as he jogged towards her.

She wondered how she had missed he was here until this very moment, but she had been pretty immersed in her sketch. "Thanks." she said, before handing him the Frisbee.

He took it, before wiping his brow with his wrist sweatband. He gave a small frown. "You know, the guys back there were very impressed at how easily you caught it. Some of them even recon it looked like you caught it without even looking."

She noticed the disapproval on his face and realized her mistake. She wanted to hit herself, but instead she scratched a non-existent itch on her cheek. "No, that would be impossible. I'm sure they misread the situation. They were standing rather far away, you know." she said innocently.

Max nodded slightly. "Yeah, that's exactly what I told them." He turned to the guys who were intently watching them, indicated that he was taking a break and threw the Frisbee back to them. "Mind if I sit?"

"Sure. We do have a truce after all." She moved some of her stuff, making space on the blanket.

He sat down and took a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air. "That we do. Although, I think we only agreed on not killing each other. Technically we didn't say anything about sharing blankets."

She gave a small laugh. "No, I guess we didn't."

He stretched out the muscles in his arms. "So, how's your leg feeling? It's been two weeks now?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yep. And it's fine. But of course I still have to hobble around on these damn things." she motioned to the crutches.

He smiled. "Yeah, yeah. I'll probably never hear the end of that one." He motioned to her leg. "Mind if I take a look?"

She nodded and picked up her sketch book again. "Sure, go wild. Just don't complain if I 'accidentally' kick you." With this she started drawing again.

Max gave a small laugh and shook his head. He slowly lifted her leg started examining it. Everything looked ok, but he hadn't expected differently. He also noted, for the first time, that she had great legs, but he wasn't about to admit that to her, she might really kick him. He carefully put her leg down. "Everything looks good. You healed up nicely."

She rolled her eyes at this, as to say, 'Of course I did. Didn't I tell you I would?'

"Be right back." He got up and fetched his bag from the other side of the field. When he got back he sat down again and had a drink of water. She was still sketching. Her dark, curly hair was up in a bun today. A few fly-aways hung in her face, but they didn't seem to bother her. Her eyes were focused on the page before her. Her brows were slightly furrowed. He noticed how she slightly bit down on her lower lip and he wondered if she always did that when she concentrated on something. The pencil in her hand delicately scratched against the paper.

"So, what are you drawing?"

She didn't answer.

"Rose?"

It was like he hadn't spoken, she was too focused on the task at hand. He snapped his fingers a few times and finally she looked up, a befuddled look on her face.

"What? Did I miss something?" she asked.

"I was just asking what you were drawing."

She blinked. "Oh. Uh, just a portrait, I guess."

"Can I see it?" he asked, interested in what had captured her attention so wholly.

She looked at her sketchbook, thought about it for a second, and then slowly nodded before handing it over to him. "Just remember, it's not finished yet."

Max took the sketchbook and looked at the drawing in his hands. It was of an old woman, probably in her sixties. She was a bit plump and had the brightest smile on her face. A motherly smile, he noted. Overall she looked like a very warm person. Then he noticed her eyes. Although she was smiling, her eyes were filled with pain. He instantly knew this woman had suffered greatly in her life, whoever she was. He then marveled at the detail of the portrait. Every line made sense, connected to each other to form the best possible outcome.

He looked up and saw that Rose was looking at him, expectantly.

"Rose, this is absolutely beautiful." he looked down at the sketch again. "Who is she?"

Rose looked away, a wave of sadness washing over her. "Her name was Dolores. She was the best, most kind hearted woman I ever knew."

"Was she family of yours?" Max asked softly, noting the love Rose had for this woman.

She thought about his question for a minute. "Yes, I guess she was."

Max handed her the sketchbook. "She looks like a wonderful person."

Rose nodded and smiled, pushing the sadness aside. "She definitely was... Want me to do a sketch of you?" she asked, trying to ditch the subject and the feelings that came with it.

He looked surprised and then slowly nodded. "Yeah, why not."

"Great. Let's do it." She turned the page and picked up her pencil, carefully examining him.

He looked confused. "Wait, how should I sit?" he asked while pulling ridiculous poses.

She gave a small laugh. "I actually prefer a more natural sketch. Wait, I have a book you can read." She rummaged through her bag and handed it to him. "You just read and I'll sketch."

"Ok, that I can do." He laid down on his stomach and opened the book.

Before long Max was immersed in the book, with Rose quietly sketching him.