Chapter 30

Rose dodged Alastor's second attack and jumped back a few feet, putting a bit of distance between them. His eyes were full of hatred. She didn't blame him after what she said. But she had to do it to create an opening for Max.

She had never been as relieved as in that moment when she caught a whiff of his scent. She had felt herself becoming calmer knowing he was nearby. She had hoped and prayed that he would catch on to what she was doing when she started her little speech. Lucky for her he did.

"You will pay for what you did to my family, you bitch!" Alastor was seething.

For a moment she felt sorry for him. Her words had hurt him more than she thought they would. But then she remembered Emily's dirty, tear stained faced and she felt her anger grow.

She looked him straight in the eye. "Not as much as you will pay for what you did to mine. Now that I don't have to hold back anymore."

Confusion crossed his face, then realization. He looked to where Emily had been tied up. For a moment he just stared at the empty spot. Then he turned back to her.

"He was here wasn't he? He took her with him." He smiled coldly. "You think you're so smart? I was going to spare them both and just kill you. But now I think, I'll rather kill them and spare you. You'll have to live the rest of your pitiful existence knowing it's your fault they're dead."

"You won't touch them. I've lived through enough guilt and I don't plan on adding anymore."

This time she made the first move. She rushed him, aiming her claws for his chest. Quickly he dodged her, before throwing a punch. She blocked it with her right hand. She crouched down, extended her right leg and swept him off his feet. He was up in a moment.

He charged at her and in one swift motion swiped at her arm, before he punched her in the stomach, sending her flying through the cool night air. She landed with a thud, but had no time to reflect on what had happened.

Within moments he was at her side, aiming his heavy boot at her head. She rolled away. Bam. She looked to her right, his boot right next to where her face had been. He lifted his leg again, aiming at her head. She rolled. Bam. He continued with his assault and she continued to dodge. Bam. Bam. Bam.

Once again he lifted his foot and brought it down, but instead of rolling away she caught it midair. She aimed her leg at his stomach and kicked as hard as she could. He fell back onto the ground with a loud thud. She pushed off the ground and stood up.

He sat up, clutching his stomach. "Not bad, for a mongrel." He slowly got up. "It's been a while since someone gave me such a workout. How about we get serious?"

She smiled. "Let's."

No matter the enemy or danger they might face, lycans still enjoyed a good fight.

He shot forward with incredible speed, aiming his claws at her neck. She side stepped him and grabbed his arm, throwing him over her shoulder straight into a tree. A loud crack sounded.

She turned towards him. He got up, blood streaming down his face. She charged at him, swiping at his throat, ready to end this fight. Suddenly he flicked his hand in her direction. She yelped as the sand he had thrown made contact with her eyes.

Before she knew it he had knocked her down and was on top of her. Punch after punch made contact. She desperately tried to block them, but this proved difficult without being able to see.

"Not so... tough... now...are you?" he laughed between punches. "I'll do...what my grand...father couldn't. I'll kill you."

Her eyes were still burning. She hopelessly tried to block his never-ending punches. Maybe this was punishment for her past. Maybe she deserved this. It was getting difficult to breathe. Her limbs were starting to go numb. Maybe she should just accept her fate.

Alastor laughed again. "Then when I'm done. I'll kill your friends. And finally your boyfriend. Not a trace of you will remain in this world."

Then something snapped inside her. Like all those many years ago on the cliff. A year ago the idea of dying wouldn't have bothered her. In fact, she would have welcomed it. But now, after having finally started to accept her past, after having met Max, it was a different story altogether. She wanted to live. She wasn't unsure like the day Victor found her either. Her whole being was shouting it. The spark had been set off. In an instant she sat up and head-butted the man on top of her. He stood up, clutching his head.

She slowly got up. "You will not lay a finger on any of them."

Alastor looked up and was amazed at the sight of the woman before him. She was beaten up and bruised, he was sure she had a few cracked bones, but she showed no sign of weakness. Her eyes were burning.

She took a step towards him. Instinctively he took two or three steps backwards. He looked at her, the blood rushing down her arm where he had nicked her earlier. What the hell was he doing? Why was he suddenly so cautious? He clearly had the upper hand here. She was still walking towards him and he readied himself for her next attack.

Rose looked at him coldly as she made her advance. "You may look like Victor, but you're nothing like him." She felt the fire burning inside her burn brighter with every step. "If you were, you would be able to beat me easily."

She shot forward aiming her claws at his chest. Before he knew what had happened, blood was streaming out of his chest. He looked down, shocked, noticing the deep claw marks branded on his chest. Surprised, he looked up and saw her walking towards him once again. He tried to lunge at her, but he could feel his movements getting slower. As he neared her, she dropped down and kicked his leg with all her might. A loud crack sounded through the air. Then a scream escaped his mouth. He dropped to the ground in agony. He looked down at his lower leg. The bone wasn't just broken in places, the whole thing was almost snapped off.

She looked at the man before her writhing in agony.

Alastor laid on the ground, tears beginning to stream down his face. He knew there was no way he would be able to stand up. No way would he be able to continue to fight. All his hatred, all his aspirations. Everything was for nothing. His head dropped. All that was left was for her to finish him off.