Prologue

A small breeze swept through the quiet town of Loran. Perched on the top of a mountain, with a beautiful, quiet valley on one side and a bustling city on the other, it was an ideal and beautiful place to live. However, it was a rural area, with a thirty minute ride to the nearest nail salon (what an atrocity). So, not many people lived there. It was also a place with many wild animals. Horses grazed in the dips and folds of the mountain,  and birds and wildlife lived in the forest just beyond the bottom of the mountain. 

        And, hidden in the shadows right in front of the edge of the forest, was a cave. It had been discovered, long ago, by the natives who lived there during the Ice Age. They made it a sacred place, because of the wonder that lay hidden at the end of the mile-long tunnel inside that lead to the heart of the mountain. At the end of it, there was a hollow, like an underground room. And inside of the room, there was a pool. 

        It, although it was underground, was a light shade of blue, as if it was reflecting an invisible sky. During the night, all light from the outside world that had come through the tunnel was gone. The  pool seemed to shine, as if it was lying underneath a thousand stars. It was so clear, that you could see all the way to the bottom of the pool, which the natives measured to be fifteen meters deep. And even all the way at the bottom, it was still bright and clear. It was the clearest water on Earth, and the natives called it the "magic juice", because it could heal people when they were sick or diseased. 

       In reality, though, the pool was so bright because it had been there since the beginning of time. When the Earth was first created, filled with volcanoes and lava, it was the only water on Earth, and was still that until a billion years later. You know that water is purified when boiled, don't you? Well, if a special type of water is boiled by lava for a billion years without evaporating, it becomes special. Healing. And that water lay in a place for millions of years, while crystals formed around it. A few million years ago, there was enough crystals for something... special to happen.

        You know how mirrors reflect light, and if you line up mirrors at just the right angle you can reflect light down it? Well, that is what those crystals did. The pool absorbed starlight, passed from one crystal to the next. And when water absorbs starlight, it forms a drop of magic. And anything can happen with a drop of magic. But there is one type of magic that is ...special, in a way. And that is the type that can take you to Kylaria.

AUTHOR'S NOTE ON THIS CHAPTER

Special magic... hm... I wonder what that could be?

Hint hint  

Maybe it's the type made from a special body of water.

Hm.......

- fluff_ball128