Chapter 3

Amelia stepped into the bakery, feeling the warm wave of heat and aroma hit her. She stopped to catch her breath, relaxing as the heat enveloped her and gave her a sense of safety and comfort. Even the small, cottage-shaped building with it's chimney and reddish-brown roofs seemed to emit a sense of coziness. She then remembered what she was doing and began to work. It wasn't very busy that day, only five or so people strolling about. There were two adults, and three children with the same look of hunger on their faces as they stared at the sweet-smelling pastries.

        She worked for an hour or so as the cashier, occasionally helping someone find a favorite treat, when she got a surprise visitor.

        "Conner!" She exclaimed happily. "Nice to see you."

        "You too, Amelia." He grinned and strolled over, staring hungrily at one of the pastries. "Care to give me a sample?"

        "Um... you know what, sure! Try this. It's a blueberry tart. The base is pie crust, and the filling  is like what you would get if you mixed homemade cream with frosting. The blueberries on the top have been drizzled with a blueberry cream sauce."

       "Nice!" Conner reached out to grab one, but Amelia stopped him.

        "If  you help me write the new price tags. The old ones got spilled over with chocolate drizzle. So, take those hands out of those pockets and get to work!" Amelia smiled sweetly, and handed him an apron. "I got the bright pink one just for you."

         Work went by much faster after Conner started helping. She was able to go home at five thirty, and finished her homework by seven.