Chapter 1

"I'm home!" Amelia Riley Jamille  cried as she stepped into the doorway, wiping her shoes on the mat. She inhaled the warm, slightly sweet smell of bread, smiling. She put her shoes in the rack, and closed the door behind you.

        "Brace yourself!" Her mom, Claire Jamille, called. "Roxy is fiesty today!" She paused for a second, and then added under her breath, "just like you." 

        Amelia was about to cry, "I heard that!"  when a mound of reddish-brown fur attacked her. She fell, laughing, as a face emerged from the fluffy ball and started to lick her. "Aww, hi, Roxy." she murmured. "Missed me? I was only gone for a few hours, you know." She said, scratching what she assumed was the back of his ears. There was so much fur that she really couldn't tell. 

        Roxy was her family's cinnamon colored pomeranian mix. She, like Amelia, was an energetic and intelligent girl. Her favorite thing was to curl up next to people and lick them. Well, that and finding ways that no one could ever find to get onto the top cabinet where the dog treats were stored. She had a tiny adorable but slightly motherly face, and pointed, always alert ears. In other words, she was really cute.

         Amelia and her family lived on the top of a small hill. It was perched on top of a mountain, with a flat top and covered with folds and little pockets. In fact, you couldn't even tell that you were on a mountain until a mile later where you started the descent down to normal ground. It was covered with grass and trees in all shades of brown and green, with white picket fences surrounding herds of cows, sheep, and horses. It was a beautiful place.

        Their town was tiny, and had three schools, a barber, a farmer's market, a grocery store, a hardware store, two or three restaurants, a bakery, a pharmacy and doctor's office, a hospital, five or six farms, two dairy farms, and many barns. It also had roughly a thousand residents, which compared to cities like San Diego, is a miniscule amount.

         As it was so small, it only took five minutes for Amelia and her parents to get to school or work. Amelia's mom, Claire, worked at the farmers market, while her dad, Richard, worked at the pharmacy. Amelia also had a part-time job at the bakery, which she worked at after school from 4 to 6 every weekday. 

Author's note:

 Amelia means "industrious", "striving", and "defender". Her middle name, Riley, means "fiesty". 

Also, don't worry. The action part will come soon, but the boring explanations are a necessity.

Kind of.

-fluff_ball128 :)