13

"The Seshobi were ruthless," Lydia was saying. "They were killing everyone who tried to stop them from taking the Sesc'Biweta. Ryan was one of the warriors assigned to guard it. From what I heard from others in the Spirit World, he saw my house get blown up. I wasn't home at the time," she assured me, "But my family was. I haven't seen them since that day either."

I looked down at my hands, suddenly regretting asking what had happened. As much as I wanted to know - especially after seeing into Lydia's memories - I realised that it probably wasn't my place to know. I went to put my hand on my friend's shoulder, only for it to go straight through her. 

She seemed to smile sadly at me. "Anyway, after the explosion, I ran back to my house to see if anyone had survived. There was nothing left at all. Ryan appeared not long after and, well, you know the rest."

"For the record," I told here, "I'm sure Ryan would be very proud of you for helping us and making sure nothing breaks the Veil."

"Thanks, Aurora." Lydia floated over to the window. I followed, wondering what she was seeing. She was looking up at the moon almost longingly. "You should go back to sleep," she said. "We have a tough four days ahead of us."

I couldn't help the yawn that came after she said those words. "I'll see you in the morning."

* * * * * * * * 

The room was empty when I woke up. Or so I thought. Arthur appeared behind me after I sat up and put his hands over my eyes. When I asked what he was doing, he only said that he was being annoying. I bashed the back of my head against his face and he let go of me. When I turned around, he looked wounded. [He's saying I have a brick for a head, the bastard]. I flicked his forehead. He looked even more wounded, going as far as to give me the puppy dog eyes. I gave him a flat look and he left me alone to shower and get dressed.

We left our stuff in the room since we were staying there for a few days and got into the car, taking only what we needed with us to the forest. We decided to use a different car park this time. None of us was keen to meet Naomie again. I was quite sure I still had the bruise from when she knocked me out, but I could not be sure without shaving my hair and there was no way I was going to do that. Everyone would see my birthmark! [It's a big deal. Go away.]

When we got out of the car, Lydia led the way. She floated ahead of me and Arthur, the scroll in her hands. Arthur was holding a printout of the lay lines from a few days earlier. They were working together to try and figure out the exact location where the Veil would open. [Ly is saying how we eventually found out this was a massive mistake, but we'll get there eventually.]. 

The three of us eventually made our way into a large grassy clearing. As my cousin and Lydia checked each other's maps, I made myself a spot at the base of the tree and relaxed. There were plenty of times where all they would do is compare notes and argue. I'd long since learn to stay out of it otherwise I would be called in to settle the debate. It was never as fun as it sounds.

I could hear the beginnings of an argument. Something about how neither of the maps properly overlayed and, instead, had the closest location a few metres away.

"This one was made first," Lydia was saying, waving her map in front of my cousin's face. "It was made by the original discoverer of the Spirit World. It's accurate."

"Being made first doesn't mean it's accurate," Arthur countered. "Information is changed as new evidence is found and incorporated into the larger story. I thought you of all people would know that."

I rolled my eyes as the argument only escalated from there. It quickly changed from the mo problem to historical problems, before next jumping into a debate about movies and TV shows. I had no idea how long I sat there. It was always interesting to watch them argue and, as much as I hated to admit it, both would always bring up something that made convinced me their point of view was right. I mean, Arthur was on the debating team for a reason. The though suddenly made me wonder if Lydia had any experience in that. I made a mental note to ask her later as I stood.

"Alright, children, break it up."

They both sent me withering glares. Whether it was at what I said or the exhausted tone I used, I honestly had no idea. One was just as possible as the other.

I took both maps from them and looked over them, finding the spot which I thought to be pretty much in the middle and stood there. "This is the spot, since neither of you can decide."

"Why do you say that?" Ly seemed skeptical.

"It's in the middle," I said brightly. "Duh. Problem solved!"

Arthur didn't even bother trying to not facepalm. I flipped him off in return.