⁰¹, APTITUDE FOR SELFISHNESS

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐓 𝐆𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐒.
chapter one; Aptitude For Selfishness
" It just means I'm not Abnegation. "

  MARLOWE PRIOR ALWAYS thought it was sort of funny

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

MARLOWE PRIOR ALWAYS thought it was sort of funny. That Caleb, Beatrice, and she found themselves so close in age. Because, when one really looked at the facts, Marlowe had mere months on Caleb Prior. But, both Caleb and Tris went known as Marlowe's little siblings. But, this wasn't the only advantage it gave her.

She would be the first of the three to endure the Choosing Ceremony.

As the days crept closer, it felt as though the home itself knew. That this was the last time Marlowe would wear grey clothes and a mask of humility to match. She would no longer awake from her thin mattress to help factionless or stare hungrily into a mirror once every three months.

Her parents knew what faction she'd pick. Marlowe had known since she watched Dauntless run to catch the ever-running trains, hurling themselves onto the transportation like careless catapults. It was the only one she could thrive in.

"You're not picking Abnegation, are you?"

Marlowe never felt guilty about her selfishness. Despite Abnegation teaching her it was the worst thing a person could be, the girl never let this idea seep much further than her skin. But if the one person in the world, Beatrice Prior could send Marlowe tripping on her own selfishness in the blink of an eye.

"Hey," Marlowe said quietly, taking a seat on her little sister's bed, "Did Caleb say something?"

"He just knows you're leaving."

Marlowe pressed her eyes closed for a long moment. She loved both of her siblings, honestly, at the core of her heart were their little faces. But Caleb could be a dick. He was so selfless, he forgot about himself, but when he wasn't acting out of kindness and being the perfect son to their parents, he was telling the truth in times he shouldn't have.

"You know I'll always love you, right, Bea?" Marlowe asked quietly, "This doesn't change that?"

"What if I never see you again?"

"Hey, you can't think like that," The brunette said stronger, standing only to crouch in front of the fifteen-year-old, "I'm your big sister. It is my only job in life to annoy and protect you."

Beatrice almost smiled at that.

"I'm not picking Abnegation, but that doesn't mean that I don't love you and Caleb and Mom and Dad. It just means I'm not Abnegation."

And Beatrice trusted her, because that's what she was supposed to do.

"Come on, we have to get to school— I have an Aptitude Test today."

Marlowe wished more than ever that she'd been born into another faction when she walked into school. Everybody had something. The Amity were full of bubbly laughter, linking arms as they walked between classes, Candors were assholes, but assholes that stuck together. Erudites were too smart for their own good and chatted about any and everything under the sun— and Dauntless. Oh, how Marlowe could daydream about boys in all black and girls with tattoos— her only wish to be one of them as they scaled the outside of the Hub on dares.