⁰⁵, GOING HEAD TO HEAD

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐓 𝐆𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐒.
chapter five; Going Head To Head
You're too desperate, you want too much. "

  FIGHTING EACH OTHER

  FIGHTING EACH OTHER. Today, they would be fighting each other. 

  Marlowe was less worried than Persephone— or she was better at hiding it. 

  "I'm just glad I'm not fighting you," Persephone whispered to Marlowe, nervously fiddling with her fingers as Four finished chalking up the matches. 

  "I have a feeling all of us will have to fight each other," Marlowe mumbled, "That's. . ."

  "Sadistic?" Persephone suggested, "God, I can't fight you."

  "We'll worry about it if and when the time comes," Marlowe gently assured, sending a soft smile to Persephone, "For now; beat that Candor's ass."

  Persephone let out an airy laugh, shaking her head as Four began speaking.

  "Today you're fighting in pairs," He announced, clearly not beating around the bush, "Luke and Sam; you're up first."

  Marlowe crossed her arms as two boys made their way to the area. They were about the same height, but Sam had broad shoulders, clear muscles, where Luke was thin— almost sickly thin.

  "Hey," Persephone whispered, nudging Marlowe as the boys lifted their fists, "Eric's here."

  Marlowe couldn't help it as her head whipped around, eyes landing on that familiar boy. He was leaning against a wall, further back than the rest of them, and once her eyes met his he smirked, lifted a brow, and nodded back towards the arena.

  She turned back to the boys, watching as Sam took a heavy swing, one which Luke dodged quickly. 

  It was an interesting match, to be fair. Sam was going for brute force, but Luke was nimble. He dodged almost everything, but where he fell short was the lack of aggression. Within five minutes, Luke had thrown maybe three punches.

  Then it hit Marlowe.

  "He's tiring Sam out," Marlowe whispered, "Holy shit."

  "That's smart," Persephone replied, "I wonder if—"

  Before she could finish her thought, the hope that Luke may come out on top, Sam's frustration materialized into a brutal punch that landed right on Luke's temple. 

  Persephone looked away as Sam continued to pummel helpless Luke and only stopped when Four announced he had won. He was done.

  The matches started going faster and faster. They weren't paired with fair opponents, in Marlowe's mind, but she knew if she were to argue, Four would simply say size had nothing to do with a fight or something frustratingly condescending about how little she knew.