Prologue

"I have accepted fear as part of life —specifically the fear of change... I have gone ahead despite the pounding in my heart that says turn back" ~ Erica Jong

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them — that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality..." ~ Lao Tzu

____ ____ ____ ____

As Taehyung stood in front of the airport, he wondered if he was doing the right thing. He wondered if leaving everything he knew, everything he loved, everything he thought loved him, was a good idea — if this change would have good outcomes. He watched how everyone around him waved at their loved ones, hugged, kissed, said goodbyes, wished good luck; the couple in front of him shared one last kiss before the man hurried away inside the airport. Taehyung looked behind him, but no one was there to tell him goodbye. No one was there to hug and kiss him farewell. No one was there to show that he'd be missed, remembered, and wanted.

Needless to say, no one was there for Kim Taehyung.

The ache in his chest had subsided though. He was no longer hurt by the sudden departure of his friends and family; his tears were long shed, his sadness left behind.

'You're doing good, Namjoon is waiting just hours away' Taehyung reminded himself 'Namjoon. Namjoon didn't forget you'

With a last huff of confidence, Taehyung walked towards the doors of the airport, clutching the handle to his luggage tightly, so tight his hand turned a pale red. He chewed viciously on his lip as he entered.

'This will be good for you, this is what you need. Stop being so scared'

Admittedly, Taehyung was simply terrified of leaving but he didn't want to let his fear stop him. He was told constantly from his best and only friend Namjoon that leaving all the negativity behind will help him gain a better mentality, that he'll be happier, that leaving will do him much more good than bad. But Daegu is Taehyung's home no matter how he was treated upon allowing himself to be himself, Daegu will forever be his home. Just a home that didn't accept what made him happy.

"If they can't accept you for you, then how on earth can you be happy, Tae?" Namjoon had asked. "Come to a place where you don't have to worry about all that hate, where you can flourish and be happy."

That's all Taehyung wanted really was happiness, but leaving burned a hole in his chest and stabbed him in the heart. Nobody would miss him, he knew this, but he'd definitely miss them.

"Here's your ticket, your plane departs in 45 minutes," the woman at the desk said, "I have to weigh your luggage, not your backpack."

Taehyung kept his backpack on as he hauled both his suitcases onto the scale. Much to his surprise, they were only 40 lbs (18 kg?), 10 pounds below the maximum weight. The woman allowed him to go and he made his way towards the area where he'd have to sit and wait.

His stomach growled as he passed multiple the food court. He watched a family run to an empty table, the boy flopping down on the seat and leaning over to cling to a man who sat beside him followed by a woman and a taller boy. All four had smiles on their faces as they started talking to each other with food sitting in front of them. Taehyung looked away and stared at the floor in front of him to keep from looking at happy friends and family, to keep the envy at bay and his sadness hidden away.

'Stop acting you're sad' he reminded himself as he sat down in the empty area where the gates would open to his plane. He pulled out a book in his backpack and opened it, toning out all the ruckus around him.

Soon, the woman announced that it was time to board the plane. The letter on his ticket was called out and Taehyung and a few others with the same letter stood and walked towards the corridor that lead to the plane.

He listened to how people excitedly talked about leaving and going to visit America, he wasn't going to visit, he was going to stay. Permanently, never coming back until he's absolutely ready, leaving behind friends that swore they'd never leave him, parents that swore they'd always love him, siblings that swore they'd always support him. Leaving behind all the promises that broke to show nothing but the lies swirling around them like bees on a beehive.

'Let it go, Tae, there's no turning back now' he told himself as he pushed his luggage into the overhead bin. He sat down and watched everyone else board, kids clinging to their parents, a baby screaming and the mother trying to shush him/her. No one sat beside him as no one was assigned the seat so he sat his backpack in the seat. He opened it and took out his phone. His lock screen was empty with no notifications, just a weather notification stating a 40% chance of light rain.

He unlocked it and went to his messages. The only chat boxes there were Namjoon's and Namjoon's wife, Keunji's. His messages used to be full, the number of messages rising all the time as his friends texted him nonstop, his mother and father checking in on him, his siblings teasing him, but now only two out so many remained. Popularity is a blanket to cover up the lies. He shook his head and quickly messaged Namjoon.

He plugged his earbuds into his phone and put them in his ear before going to Audiomack to play his offline music

He plugged his earbuds into his phone and put them in his ear before going to Audiomack to play his offline music. It seemed like a long time before the plane began to drive down the runway. Taehyung rested his head against the wall beside the window and watched the workers wave neon signs around and how the runway lit up in the dark.

"We are now leaving Daegu International Airport," the pilot stated as the plane began to speak up. Soon they were in the air, officially beginning their journey to a new continent, a journey to a new life.

Taehyung sat up, he watched the lights from the airport and the city get smaller and smaller before they were covered by clouds, only specks of light appearing every now and then. With a final goodbye, he pulled the cover down so he couldn't see outside and rested his head on the wall.

'This is for the best, you'll be happier in America. Away from all those people who can't accept you for you, away from all the fake love'

_____ _____ _____ _____

"Stay away from people that make you feel like you are hard to love" ~ unknown

"Leave who you were.
Love who you are.
Look forward to who you will become." ~ unknown

---

Hello guys!!! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Do you guys prefer a more interactive style of texting or do you like the fake apps I use? There will be a time skip after this chapter!

Q: what do you think happened for Tae to want to leave his home and everyone he knows?