CHAPTER 2

LIES

OLUCHI

A year earlier.....

"I

need you all moving at a reasonable pace. Teresa, Michael, please get those documents ready immediately".

I looked towards Teresa's desk from the 'circle' which I had created in the middle of the room.

"Yes ma". Teresa replied.

She looked at me anxiously then continued typing on the system on her desk.

I didn't bother looking at Michael's desk aligned beside Teresa's because I expected he should have left his seat for the printing room.

There are fifteen tables in the office allied side by side, ending before the entrance to my office.

My head and eyes hurt as I looked at all twenty employees' pace around, talk in groups or type with their computers trying to meet up with the deadline I had given for their assignments.

My heels hurt and I couldn't even sit, with most of the discomforting eyes on me, it seemed right not to lower the standard I already made for them which is 'stay on your toes and not slack'.

It was almost ten a.m. I did need a break, all I had done since I got to the office was yell and I had to admit, I was out of breath and I knew if anything had happened, nobody in that big noisy room would have been bothered.

In fact, they probably would have been glad

I know it sounds like I am some kind of demon but I'm not. Everyone understood, it was just work and I could be tough but usually, I really doubt I was so uptight.

Could they really blame me? No one who stood or sat in the chaos could guarantee that they didn't feel one bit the way I did or they didn't expect me to be restless after how I looked arriving into the building. I saw it all in their eyes too. Everyone was curious.

"Mr. Temidire is on the line Miss Oluchi, he says he wants to know when Mr. Adeleke and his father will be getting here and he is complaining about calling you severally".

I looked over at Teresa's desk while she held the phone away from her right ear and covered the microphone to avoid Temidire from listening

"Tell him you can't find me. I'm really not in the mood for his problems right now". Teresa's nod was positive as she placed back the phone on her ear and I rolled my eyes looking away from her.

I forgot that Temidire had the numbers of almost everybody at the office. What was the essence of leaving my phone in my office when he could have easily reached me?

I know you all might wonder who Temidire is and why I refused to take the call.

He is my boss, the adoptive son of Mr. Badmus-the President of Platorax Empire and he is also my ex.

I've tried so hard and the building is big enough to keep us apart but somehow

we still always managed to cross paths.

I hoped Teresa didn't mind that I rested my body at the edge of her table after I caused the entire racket in the office.

Though, I was confident she understood. We've worked together for three years and she knew better how to deal with my nervous break-downs.

Now, talking about myself- I believe my attitudes are all adopted from Amarachi, my older sister.

As I looked at everyone, I just had to laugh because if my friend Monalisa was there, she would have hissed and walked out of the office, frustrated as she called me a perfectionist but I'd call Amarachi's name in my defense and she would have kept quiet.