C h a p t e r N i n e

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song: "Heart Of Gold" By Neil Young

C h a p t e r N i n e >

Robin drums her fingers on the bare skin below her dress’s hemline nervously as Luke drives her car to her parent’s house. She’s not in the mood for meeting the probing glances of her family as soon as they see that not only is Luke with her but also added with Grace’s bomb of information will assume her and Luke are together. A fact she’s not even all too sure of herself. Sure, she said she wanted to try and Luke keeps saying he wants to take care of her and all the other sweet things he does but does that add up to a relationship?

She’s not sure.

Though what he’s been saying should be making her absolute in the fact that he’s interested in that she just can’t believe it. She’s been alone so long and having the one person she’s wanted right there and practically begging to be in her life seems too surreal to be believed. Though she should believe it, it would save her a lot of brainpower.

Luke’s hand over hers stops her dancing fingers and causing all kinds of reactions in her body. His fingertips caress the inside of her thigh making her legs clench together in instinct, trapping them. He pries them open with two fingers and Robin’s breathing speeds as she watches the callused tips of his fingers caress the inside of her thigh before moving to wrap around her hand.

She’s disappointed he didn’t go any further but doesn’t press it. Instead she weaves her fingers through the gaps between his and squeezes, which he returns. A wave of calm comes over her as a result of such a simple gesture and she assumes this has something to do with the whole ‘soul mate’ thing he talked about last night. An idea she’s still trying to get a hold of.

“What’s got you so nervous?” Luke asks as they turn down the road making them only a mile from the house. She’s sure Grace and Charlie are already there giving the whole group an earful about the nights events.

Robin sighs, “They’re going to ask a million and two questions about us. It’s annoying and it’s not like they're the gentlest interrogators.”

Luke grins at her quickly, “No I suppose they wouldn’t be.”

“Don’t smile! It’s not funny. I’m still trying to get this entire situation straight in my own head let alone having to explain it to my family.”

“What’s to explain other than I’m your boyfriend with honest intentions?” He shrugs, “Its as simple as that.”

“B-Boyfriend?” Robin asks with obvious shock.

Luke frowns at her, “Yes. Robin, I told you I want to be with you. I want to be here for Charlie and I want to make a life for the three of us together. Was that not clear?”

“I guess I just thought…”

“Well then let me make this perfectly clear.” He says gruffly before pulling the car to the side of the road. Robin’s jaw unhinges and she stares at him shock. What the hell is he doing? Putting the car into park Luke pulls Robin across the bench seat of her car by the hand he’s still holding until she’s in his lap on the driver’s side. “Now listen up because I really don’t like repeating myself, okay?”

Mutely she nods and he rewards her with a quick smile.

“Good. Now, before we go into the trenches lets get this through your pretty little head of yours. You are my girlfriend, I want you, I need you and I refuse to live without you. Charlie is my son not only by blood but also by practice. I will take care of you until my last breath and you will be by my side through this life as I was destined to be by yours. Is that all clear now?”