E p i l o g u e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song----------}

"Be My Angel" By Mazzy Star

E p i l o g u e >

{F i f t e e n  Y e a r s  L a t e r}

Charlie comes out of the garage while wiping his oil stained hands on a shammy cloth. His white shirt is also covered in grease and oil from the recent job he had to do on Mrs. Hall’s car and finally just got done doing. He’s glad to have nothing else to fix on it because if he’s honest he really doesn’t like the woman looks at him. It’s deeply unsettling how much she finds ways to rub up on him when she’s not only clearly married but also married to the sheriff.

And Charlie isn’t suicidal.

“Charlie!”

He turns towards the source of the voice only to be jumped on. Using his quicker reflexes he catches her before she falls but not without a huff of annoyance coming from him. She’s always doing this.

“Regan get off me.”

The black haired, brown-eyed sixteen-year-old only squeezes him tighter until he’s fighting for air. “Now, why would I let go of the best big brother in the whole world? Huh? I bet you got nothing!”

“How about the fact I can’t breathe?” He gasps out.

Regan scoffs, “That’s hardly a reason.”

“Regan Grace Randolph, let your brother go now.”

With an eye roll Regan does as her mother asks and crawls back down to her feet. Gasping in air, a little dramatically for added affect, Charlie bends over grasping his knees. Once he’s sure the message has been sent he lifts his upper body and gives his mom playful smile.

“Thanks, Mama.”

Rolling her dark eyes Robin gives him a flat look, “I’m sure you would have survived but you're welcome all the same.”

“You can never be too sure with that nut case.”

“Hey!” Regan yells, hands on her hips. “I’m right here!”

Charlie just smirks at her. “I know.”

“Alright knock it off.” Robin sighs, rubbing her temples. “You two are going to make me gray before my time, I swear it.”

“Hey if it wasn’t us it’d be daddy doing it.” Regan points out making Charlie laugh knowing just how true that is.

Sighing tiredly Robin walks over to Charlie and cups his scruffy cheek. “You look a bit tired, Button.”

“I haven’t been sleeping very well. Something has my wolf feeling more restless than usual.”

Robin frowns. “Did you talk to your dad about it?”

Running a hand over his hair he nods, “Yeah, he said to just let him out more often, let him hunt a little and he’ll settle in time.”

“It’s worked before hasn’t it?”

“It has.” He agrees. “But something about this feels different, like something big is coming.”

“I wish I had a wolf.” Regan grumbles as she plays with a monkey wrench.

“Believe me its not as fun as it seems.” Charlie tells her tiredly.

“Still.”

Robin puts an arm around her youngest. “You're still young honey, you could still get your wolf.”