11 - DEAD MAN'S BLOOD

SEASON 1, EPISODE 20

"You," John's voice came out in a low growl, his snarl pointed at Mara. "You're no Elkins."

The tension in the Impala had spiked the moment John Winchester got in. Mara imagined that a portion of the tension had arisen due to the complex relationship, but she knew that most of it was lying in the air between John and herself. She recognized his dark eyes and the tiredness they contained, the tiredness that claimed he was ready to be done with his search for Azazel, and she recognized the blistering fire that lied just behind the exhaustion. It was the same fire he'd passed on to Kat, and it was the same flame she'd seen when she'd first met him. Surely he remembered her from when he'd attempted to trap Azazel and Meg. She'd fled before he could find out she was a reaper, but not before he'd discovered that she was working with the demons he despised so fiercely.

John's hand shot to his hip, his fingers curling around the hilt of a knife that was strapped to his belt. He whipped it out and held it to Mara's neck, his eyes blazing with a fury that made Mara's skin crawl, his aggressive movements causing each of the Winchesters to shout for their dad to stop.

Kat and Dean were the first to try and stop John from slicing a wedge into Mara's throat. Kat slapped her hands against her father's shoulders and pushed against him with every bit of strength she had, and Dean gripped John's wrist, trying to pull it away from Mara's neck without rubbing the blade against it.

"Let go!" John bellowed, shaking off his children's hands and shoving Dean back into the driver's seat. "She's a demon! I had your mother's murderer in a trap, and she was one of the demons that came running to help him!"

All of a sudden, as if John's words were a tranquilizer to his children, all movement in the Impala ceased. Kat's cries for John to put the knife away quieted. Dean's labored breathing, a byproduct of his tussle with John, got caught in his throat. Mara refused to meet his gaze, even as Sam spoke up, asking if what John said was true.

Mara's heart was pounding in her chest, and it was unlike any sensation she'd ever experienced. It wasn't the same sort of pounding that happened whenever her hand accidentally brushed Dean's, or when his buoyant gaze met hers. It was a pounding that rang the bell of death. A pounding that, though it seemed loud to her own ears, gave a quiet warning of what would happen if she didn't say something. If she didn't try to defend herself against John's words.

Her first instinct was to flick his knife away from her. She could do it with almost no effort at all. Telekinesis, one of the many abilities a reaper possessed, was something Mara could do with just one twitch of her pinky finger. Be that as it may, she doubted using her powers would make her situation go away any faster. She'd abandoned Azazel and Meg in their devil's traps because she hadn't wanted John to find out she was a reaper, and her contract with Azazel wasn't something she wanted the Winchester children to learn about, so it didn't seem like the wisest decision to make her identity known. Using telekinesis would be no better broadcasting her true identity to the Winchesters.