Chapter 1

My heart beat quickened as I raced down the dark street. I knew I shouldn't have been out this late but, my grandmother needed her medicine. She was coughing so loudly that I thought she would wake the neighbors.

As soon as I realized how sick she really was, I raced down to the 24 hour drug store like my life depended on it.

The drug store seemed haunted at night, barren aisles, random creaks coming from the floorboards, and a dim lightbulb at the center of the store gave it an eerie feeling, but I'd do anything for my Grandma. She's the one person who's taken care of me.

There are no street lights in the town I live in. Honestly, it's so small you probably couldn't find it on Google Maps. Bayside is the 15th town I have moved to in my 17 years of life. Nothing is special about it at all. Actually, Bayside is by far the most boring town I've ever lived in. Though it's an extremely boring place, something about Bayside at night has never sat well with me. The feeling the darkness gives you is unlike anything I'd ever felt, it's almost as if you're never truly alone. I guess that's just one of the many "perks" of living in a small town.

The moonlight gleamed as I walk home. To pass the time, I avoided each crack on the sidewalk as I walked, much like a toddler who heard their first nursery rhyme. These are the times that I wish I had a car like every other teen in this privileged town. Sadly, my Grandmother and I would never be able to afford the mansions and the upper-middle class lifestyle that many of the kids my age get to experience. As I lifted my head to check my surroundings, I realized I had finally reached my street. I really needed to start paying attention to where I was going, the cracks in the sidewalk shouldn't be entertaining enough to distract me entirely.

As I went to my door step a chill raced down my spine, goosebumps covered my arms, and I knew someone was watching me. I turned around and stared into the darkness of the night, willing whatever was hiding to show itself. After a minute of waiting, I realized it must of been my brain playing a trick on me and walked inside. As soon as my foot passed the doorway I bolted to my grandmothers room.
"Nana I brought your medicine."
She looked up at me, her dark skin looked a sickly green, but she still managed to smile.

"Thank you sweetheart, but you didn't have to do that."

I sighed, kissed her forehead, and look out the window while she swallowed her medication. It was too dark to make out anything but my reflection. As I take in my appearance I am reminded of my one redeeming quality; bright grey eyes that stand out more than anything else. My milk chocolate skin tone and dark brown hair were completely and utterly average, my eyes are the only special thing about me.

I sweetly looked down at my grandma who had fallen asleep while I was dazing off. I pushed her hair away from her face and stood up to leave the room. Before leaving,  I looked out the window one more time, expecting nothing but my own reflection to stare back at me. I was surprised to see two pairs of yellow eyes shining in replace of the darkness. I gasped and turned completely around, staring at the ugly floral wall paper that covered the entirety of the room. This is just another mind-trick, I thought to myself. I counted down from 10 and when I reached one, I slowly turned around to look out the window.  As I looked into the dead of night, the only thing staring back at me was my own familiar face.

I need to get some sleep.